Chapter 1

Trailer below made by @beyond_z They the bomb!

_________________________________________________________

"Man, I'm telling you that it's amazing here in California!" I peer into the laptop screen in front of me, trying to get a glimpse of what my 'friend' here is talking about.

Frank sits with a big smile plastered on his face. Behind him, I see a field of green grass with little people swarming the patch. They run, walk, talk, and sit. The sun seems to shine down heavily on Frank's pale skin. I can spot splotches of pink starting to bloom on his neck and arms, even through the computer screen.

"Are you getting a sunburn?" I ask, pushing my large glasses up against my face to remove the glint shading my view.

"Who cares? It's awesome here," he screams. I can only imagine it would be. Stanford University. Must I even explain? "Man, I really wish you could be here with me. Too bad you didn't get accepted."

And way to just rub it in my face once again Frank. Some friend you are.

I'd been dreaming about that moment since the very day I could read. I imagined myself walking down the same halls Frank is now. Starting the second semester of my sophomore year at Stanford University with the sun basking down on me. I'd be away from Colorado's cold weather, no longer in need of a coat two times my size.

I'd live in a large penthouse, one that Frank and I would've shared together after our first year. Him, of course, paying the majority of the rent because his family's filthy rich. I'd be top of my class like I was back in high school. I'd be sexy, I'd be popular. All those kids who laughed at me back in the day would laugh with me.

That was my plan. But of course, life doesn't always go the way you expect it to.

"Stanford rejecting me is the best thing that's ever happened to me," I lie. "I love it here at Colorado State! I swear, they throw the wildest parties. I've had my way with the many sexy ladies that go here."

"Oh, boy. We're living the dream," Frank squeals.

"Ain't that right." I hear her before I see her, but when I do, my insides instantly melt. She leans down into the camera's view, her lushes jet black hair dangling against Frank's back as she places a hand on his shoulder and smiles into the computer. Her eyes gleam against the screen and have my toes convulsing in pleasure. The Stanford girls over there were way cuter.

"Who's this," she asks Frank.

"Grace, I'd like you to meet Adam. He's been my best pal since high school." he answers. "Adam, this is Grace. My girlfriend."

"He wishes," she laughs.

"A man can dream, can't he?" he remarks. If I had a woman like that leaning on my shoulder, I'd do more than just dream.

"It's nice to meet you Adam," she speaks.

"Likewise," I reply.

"Anyway, going back to all the woman you screwed during your first semester," Frank interjects with a toothy grin on his face. He obviously knows that he's done his job at causing me great humiliation.

"Steve! Oh my god," I scream, my voice more pitchy than I intended as my face turns a hot red.

"What? It sounded like it was getting interesting," he remarks. I can hear Grace's laughter on the other end, wheezier than I imagined.

"Go on, you can talk about it," she laughs. "I like interesting stories.

"You know what, that's really not nes-" I jerk my head back at the sudden sound of someone trying to prod through my door. Oh no.

"What? What happened?" Frank asks as he pushes his head closer to the screen, as if that was supposed to help him see any better.

"You know what, I think that's one of them right now." I laugh nervously, sweat building up on my palms. "I better go see what she wants. She probably left something. I'll talk to you later, oh, and it was a pleasure meeting you, Grace."

"Yeah, same," she replies.

"Wait! I want to see h-" I slam the laptop shut and whirl around in my chair just in time to see the woman barge through my door. As she opens the door she ends up knocking over a shirt I'd worn that was hanging there.

"God, Adam! When are you going to learn to stop making a mess of your living space," my mother yells in that motherly tone of hers.

Once again, my mother has found a way to prod herself back into my life. I'd only been gone a day since break and she was already barging in here and knocking my stuff all over the place.

"Mom, seriously? Again? Again," I scream as I burst from my seat.

"Well it's not my fault that you don't know how to clean around here. I mean come on, Adam. How long has it been since you've washed these?" She bends down and picks up the crusty clothes splattered against my floor.

"Mom!" I pull my clothes from her hands and place them on a nearby counter. "I'll clean, I just got here. It takes time."

"Nope, I don't trust you," she says as she goes back to picking up my clothes. "I've lived with you for the first 18 years of your life. You can't lie to me!"

"I need my space," I retort as I snatch the clothes from her grasp once again and throw them on the floor. I grab hold of my mother's frail hands and face her in my direction. "You can't be like this with me forever.  At some point, you have to learn to let me go."

"I know, sweetie. I know." She takes a long breath and looks down at our hands. "But I can't do it yet." She rips her hands away from mine and starts again at my clothes. Trying to stop her now was pointless.

"You hungry?" I ask instead. "I can cook a pretty good frozen pizza if you're up for it."

"It's okay, I already ate," she replies. "But don't eat that pizza, it's not good for you. I'll cook for you once I'm done cleaning. You always liked my pot roast."

"In that case, I'm going to go to my room and work on some homework," I call as I head down the hallway and to my bedroom. "I have to be ready for the new semester!"

As I enter my room and shut the door behind me, I plop into the very comfortable chair at my desk with the wheels at the bottom that kept me occupied when I was bored. I pull out the large Chemistry book from my backpack and open its dusty pages.

In the middle of my very intense note taking, I'm pulled away by a short ringing that comes from my phone. Checking my message, I see that it's from Frank.

It was your mom, wasn't it?

Contact Deleted

_____________________________________________________________

Hope you liked it! I've got so much more planned. Please stick with me because this is going to be one CRAZY ride! VOTE, COMMENT, FOLLOW, SHARE, and I'll see all you're beautiful eyes later!