Chapter 10

10 hours earlier

I had a lot of fun sitting there with my new found friends and talking. We talked about school and how we dreaded this coming up semester, we talked about how excited we were to graduate after two years, and what we planned to do in the future. It felt like we sat there talking for hours, laughing while reminiscing about the past and fantasizing about the future, which were two things I didn't have or want to talk about, until now. And I enjoyed every second of it.

But those hours quickly turned into minutes, then seconds. Soon, the clamper of heavy footsteps down below invaded our laughter. Conversation became more apparent, and next, the music started blaring. The party had officially started.

"It's about time. I'm all for fashionably late, but this is ridiculous. Like, seriously, who shows up late to their own party and then wastes the next two hours before starting it? Oh wait, I know. Steve Wrecker does." Ezra complains as he shoves the now empty bags and container into a dresser by the bed.

"Who cares? It's starting now! Let's go!" Cheryl squeals already racing out the door.

"Hey, wait for me!" Ezra booms following suit.

I can't run with them, mostly due to the butterflies that were flapping around inside my stomach for the moment. To say I regretted coming here would be an understatement. It's more like if I don't get out of here now, then I might poop my pants.

But the butterflies weren't just nerves, they were excitement too. My first real party. This has been my goal since freshman year. And now that I was here I just didn't know what to do with myself.

Standing at the very top of the staircase, I stare into the scary swarm of college students down below. I couldn't see Cheryl or Ezra; they had already blended with the swarm. Maybe I would too.

I take a breath before finally deciding to join in. The music was more audible in my ears as I reached ground bottom. Once inside, the heat that evaded from their bodies warmed me up immediately. I was bumped into, grounded up on, and prodded all in my attempt to walk two yards toward a nearby counter where I was finally able to breathe. That was intense. I'd never felt so violated in my entire life.

Pessimistic Adam (PA a.k.a. Real Adam): I don't think I can do this.

Optimistic Adam (OA): Yes we can!

PA: Were you not just there? Every part of my body was just touched in the last

three seconds. Even my . . . well, you know what.

OA: You're right, we were just there. And that is nothing compared to what we've already been through. Remember when we were shoved into Tony's trunk and had to stay in there all day, near out of air and missing school, ruining our perfect attendance record leaving us scarred for life? That's so much worse than this.

PA: My life sucks!

OA: Yes, it does. But it doesn't have to. It's time you looked on the brighter side, Pessimistic Adam. At least you didn't die.

PA: Thanks?

OA: If you could survive being locked into a truck, being tied to a tree in the winter all night, and countless other life or death scenarios, then you can survive a party.

Optimistic Adam was right. I'm like a cat with nine lives. I will survive. I mean, it's just a party. What could possibly happen?

PA: A lot.

But I ignored Pessimistic Adam and kept on moving. I tried to join the dance party. Standing on the outside of a circle of kids dancing with each other, I started bobbing my head to the music. When I got the beat down I attempted to use my arms, pumping them back and forth as I swayed side to side. I thought I was doing a pretty good job.