Oh Mother

For as long as I could remember, my dad was a violent man. Every week someone ended up with a scar. If it wasn't me it was my mom, If not her it was my older brother Matthew. But never Josh. Never. Maybe it was because he was always the youngest. Matthew got hit the most. I guess it was because he was 17 while I was only 12. He was becoming a grown man and my dad hated that. The next was my mom. Every week like clockwork. Friday at 11pm, just a couple hours after he had gotten home from work. Dinner was always perfect and desert was amazing. His chair was always free, and the remote was always his, but somehow, for some strange reason, it wasn't enough. Her scars were never healed by Monday which meant she became one of those women with the lame excuses like walking into the wall or tripping up the stairs. Next in line was me. I didnt have a schedule like my mom or just everyday or two like Mathew, it was only when I was in the way. If he saw a print in his chair, which was usually from Josh, and I was the only one in the room, I got the punishment. If there was a plate in the sink after I had finished the dishes, guess who got the punishment. These things didnt happen frequently, but when they did, it cut deep.

This all continued until one day my mom had had enough. Matthew had turned 18 and moved to Brooklyn, till this day we haven't heard from him. We have no idea if hes even dead or Alive. My mom waited for Friday, and when it came, she waited for 9pm and then when it came she took action. She began by ironing his clothes, and making him a nice cold margarita, since Friday night was also their "date night". He came over to get his clothes and picked up the drink. When he leaned his head down and removed the glass from in front of it, he was shocked to find a hot steaming iron coming straight towards his face. With his hands flailing and his mouth screaming, she backed him into a wall. She threw the iron to the ground to reveal his hot and red, but not burnt face, and smacked him 3 times in it. He dropped to his knees and she kicked him in the stomach before dragging him to the front door and pushing him out.

It was over. Or at least I thought it was.