Vanishing

"Jake!?", I yelled. He looked a little different from when I last saw him in July. It was the end of August now. "Hey, I need to talk to you" "Ok, but make it quick!", I said leading him into the living room before walking into the kitchen. "Ashley", he said. "Yeah", I said walking out of the kitchen with a bottle of Bacardi. "What are you doing!", he yelled as I pour it into my cup of orange juice. I sat down on the couch, and sat the bottle on the table. "What's going on Ash. You're going crazy, I don't like seeing this side or you." "Easy for you to say. You haven't even seen me in like a month. You don't even talk to me anymore." "Ashley, You're getting out of control. I mean what's this I heard about you not coming home for a week? Or you smoking, and what's going on with your hair!?" I looked down at my now pink hair with red tips, and pulled on it. "I mean this isn't right Ashley. Like you're drinking now!?", he said. I picked up the bottle of Bacardi, and was about to pour it in my cup when Jake smacked it out my hand. The bottle hit the floor and smashed into pieces, spilling the drink everywhere. "Jake, what's wrong with you!? Do you know how much that cost!?", I yelled. "Ashley, You need to STOP! This isn't you!!" "You don't even know me Jake. You haven't even spoken to me in weeks! What did one of your girlfriends break up with you and now you wanna come running back to me!?" "No Ashley! I'm here because I'm worried about you. Everyone is! Your brother has been calling me everyday to tell me what's going on, and that he's worried about you! This isn't a game Ashley. I don't know what's gotten into you, but this isn't good. It isn't you! What happened to the sweet innocent girl I met in June. The one who loved to fangirl, and talk about celebrities? Huh!? I don't know what's going on with you Ashley, but this needs to stop!" "You know what Jake. I have to get ready, Zachs waiting for me, so can you leave now?" "And that's it too! Zach! I told you not to hang around him. I told you he was bad news but you didn't want to listen. and look at you now! This is horrible. You need to stay away from him!" "Why, so I can come running back to you!? Why, so you can break my heart again! Huh Jake!? Zach makes me happy! He doesn't hurt me like you did, and he teaches me how to have fun! You don't! You're not even supposed to be here! Why aren't you filming in Ny!?" "Ashley, its September. I told you I'd only be gone until then, and even if I was still filming, Im worried about you. Of course I would come to check up on you! Why don't you just do this for me. Calm down. Just Chill out. No smoking, or drinking. Just be the nice, calm, funny, sweet Ashley I love." I looked at him and saw how sad his eyes were. I could see he was hurt, but for some reason I didn't care. All I could think about was him hurting me like all the other times. Zach never hurt me, he was always the nicest guy, and he didnt have any other girls. "Look Jake. Zachs coming to pick me up soon, so can you go?", I said. His eyes filled with tears before he walked to the door. "I'm disappointed in you Ashley", he said before closing the open door. "I know I'm disappointed in me too."

That night Jake came over again. I was just about to leave with Zach when he came into my bedroom. "Hey", he said making me jump up from the bed. "What do you want", I asked harshly. "I just wanted to know if you wanted to come over tomorrow, and hang out like we use to" "Can't, I have to start packing tomorrow" "Packing? For what?" "Hawaii, Zach got the part in a movie, and they're filming in Hawaii. He asked me to come with him, and I said yes." "What!? Ashley you can't just go to Hawaii! Do you're parents know about this!?" "They don't care so they don't need to know, and you better not tell them either!!" "Ashley I have to, I'm sorry." "Look Jake you have no control over me. I'm not gonna argue with you again, just don't! Please!" "But what are they gonna think when they see you're gone?" "You know what Jake, Ok, lets go!", I said getting up and grabbing his hand. It was so soft, I missed it. I pulled him over to my parents room and pushed open the door. "Oh hi Jake", my mom said as she looked up from her book. "Hi ms. Scott", he replied with a wave. "Mom, Zach got a part in a movie, and they're filming in Hawaii for 3 weeks, and I'm going with him. We're leaving on Friday." "Ok. Have fun", she replied. I was shocked. Had they stopped caring about me? How could she say yes so easily? It had taken me about 3 days to get them to let me go to Canada. I slammed the door, and stormed back to my room, with Jake following behind me. "Look Ashley. I know how-" "Look Jake, I'm going, and thats the end of the story!", I yelled before slamming my door in his face. Tears ran down my face as I thought about my parents, and their judgement of me. "If they don't care, then I don't care either", I said to myself.

After about an hour, Zach came to pick me up. We were going on a date. Our first real date in fact. I opened my bedroom door, and to my surprise, there was Jake, sitting right there in my hallway. "Where are you going", he asked. "Date, With Zach", I replied stepping over him. He grabbed my leg and I turned around, almost falling on my face. "Just tell me. What can I do to make you not go on this trip!? Please! I know I've hurt you in the past, but this is different. No other girl, no business trips. No movies, or Tv shows. Just me and you, the way its supposed to be. I miss you, and I know you miss me too! Our video chats every night before bed. Our lunch dates to In-N-Out burger. The beach. You can't just pretend like none of this ever happened. I know you still love me Ashley, and I still love you. Please. Ill do anything!" I looked at his sad eyes and finally felt some kind of emotion. "Look Jake, umm I have to go. Zachs waiting outside. You can come with us to the airport on Friday if you want." Tears came to his eyes as he stood up and walked pass me without saying a word. "JAKE WAIT", I yelled running up to him, as he walked down the hallway towards the stairs. He turned around, and I placed my lips on his. At first he was resistant, but then he gave in and kissed me back. We stayed like that for 10 seconds before I pulled away. "Um, I have a date", I said awkwardly before running down the stairs. I could feel Jakes eyes following me down the stairs as I left. I didn't even know what to think, and I know he didn't either. "Man, things are about to get really complicated", I thought, and just then that's when they did.

-----

When me and Zach arrived at "Boa", the fanciest (and most expensive) steak restaurant in Los Angeles, there were a couple paparazzi outside. I was surprised, because they never seemed to follow Zach, but now they were. We got what I thought was the best table in the restaurant, and that's when it got weird. "So, how's Jake", He asked making me spit out my water. I quickly looked around and wiped my face. "What!?", I Said. "I saw him coming out of your house right after you, and he practically followed us all the way here." I looked around trying to find him, but nothing. "He followed us?", I asked. "Yup. I didn't notice it at first, but then that car that stayed 2 spaces behind us, and followed us all the way from your neighborhood had to be him. Plus it was his car. I don't think he came inside though.", Zach said staring me down. I looked down at my empty placemat, and prayed for the waiter to come. "So, you guys make out?", he asked, catching me off gaurd again. "What are you talking about!?", I said. "Well I also noticed that you smelled like men's cologne when you got in the car, and I know your brothers too young to wear it, plus he was probably sleep when you left, and your father isn't talking to you sooo...", he explained. At that moment my prayers were answered. "Hello, what will the lovely couple be having tonight.", the waiter asked. We ordered our food, and the dreaded silence came back to the table as the waiter left. "Soo... How was he?", Zach continued. "Look Zach, I don't know what's wrong with you. Yes Jake came over, but all he did was try to talk to me. Thats it, We didn't make out. I would never do that to you. Now can we talk about something else!", I said. "Ok. You look beautiful in that dress", he said. "Zach - 1, Jake - 0", I thought. I looked down at the white dress I was wearing, and thought of how stupid I was to wear white to go and eat steak. I shook my head, pushing the thoughts away, and again Zach chimed in with something crazy. "So are you gonna leave me for him", he asked. "What!?", I yelled quietly. (Its possible) "Look babe, I know you still love him, but you don't deserve him, you deserve me. He's just gonna hurt you over and over again, and I'm not gonna let him do that to you. I care about you babe, and you're just gonna leave me like that for him, C'mon man!", he said. "Zach what is going on with you. I'm not leaving you for anyone, I-" "No! I know you love him more, just say it!" He he started yelling now, and his words were slurred, and his eyes were hanging low. "Are you drunk!?", I asked, I said grabbing his arm. "Mm-Maybe", he said picking up his cup. I grabbed the cup of what looked like Coke, but turned out to be whiskey. "Now listen here Ashley. You're my girlfriend, and I'm not letting anyone else have you! You got that!" I threw the cup at him, stood up, and stormed out of the restaurant. How could he be such a jerk. This was supposed to be our first real date, it was supposed to be perfect! My mind was racing, I had never seen him act like that before. I pulled out my phone, and called the first person I could think of. "Hey can you come pick me up from the restaurant, please. Its an emergency!"