Chapter Five - You shouldn't have challenged me

Chapter five – you shouldn't have challenged me

I stared at him shocked. This was his winter job? How the...how can...oh god! And to think I was going to be able to spend the winter away from him! I stared at him just as shocked as he stared back.

'you two know each other?' aunty asked and we both turned to look at her briefly. I cleared my throat.

'um...yeah...we go to school together' I answered and went back to staring at Cory shocked.

'oh really? What a funny coincidence?'

'hmm yeah funny' I said completely emotionless. I blinked looking down at my dinner plate.

'guess that'll make things easier then huh?' she asked again and I mentally groaned.

Easier? Easier? In whose right mind made this easier?! This made it hell. I mean I liked the boy but he clearly didn't like me back. Even after the grinding, and oh god I swore never to bring that back up.

'yeah...h-how's...w-what have youse all been up to?' I asked stuttering over almost every word. The room was completely silent and I noticed Stefani, Cory's sister, sitting next to him. What was she doing here? I needed answers and I needed them now.

'it's been school, how do you think it's been?' Kayla grumbled earning some laughter from the adults. Oh boy...

Cory's POV

I couldn't believe it. How the hell did this happen? Here sitting before me was the very girl I was using this winter to forget about. I just wish school would finish so I could move on and never have to see her rich ass again.

Dinner was full of chatter but I was so wrapped up in my thoughts I barely noticed the people slowly leaving the table. I couldn't believe it, she was here! She was related to June! How was this even possible? Ugh there goes my winter of avoiding her.

'are you okay Cory?' June asked appearing in front of me. I nodded sighing.

'yeah...just tired'

'you should get some sleep it's nearly nine thirty'

'y-yeah, what time do we leave tomorrow?'

'about tenish so don't wake up too early'

'I'll be down by nine thirty'

'take your time. Want me to show you back up to your room?'

'nah, I think I can remember'

'okay, you have a good night's rest and I'll see you in the morning. Oh and I paid you for today'

'but-'

'don't worry about it. I have the money so just take it'

'but-'

'just take the god damn money Cory' Missy grumbled folding her arms over her chest.

'oh come on kids, I thought youse went to the same school?' June asked wrapping her arm around Missy's waist.

'doesn't mean we like each other' Missy retorted and I rolled my eyes standing up. Stefani jumped up with a grin on her face and grabbed Missy's hand being all nice. I raised a brow.

'come on, I'm tired' she whined and Missy smiled turning and Stefani started pulling Missy up the stairs.

'Missy isn't that bad, how well do youse know each other?' June asked walking me to the stairs.

'honestly? She's just the girl everyone loves at our school'

'that really isn't her, whoever she is'

'so she isn't a rich snob who ignores everyone?'