Chapter 16: Senioritis

Senioritis

"And finally, to end the last ten minutes of class on a slightly bad note, It seems that, under some circumstances, the project will last one more week. Give thanks to your seniors for that one."

Everyone groaned, glaring at our four seniors in the class. Apparently, the reason Ms. Hank had kept the babies over the weekend was to see who was doing the project and who wasn't. So now, the baby had to be kept a week longer under tougher criteria. I shifted in my seat, boredness beginning to creep up when I felt Tyler brush his hand against mine underneath the table.

As Ms. Hank droned on about the rules, I glanced at my boyfriend, whispering, "What?"

He grinned at me, scooting a bit closer then grabbed my hand. "I just wanna hold your hand, obviously."

I gave him small smile, glad that we were at the very back of the room. Nobody would be able to tell, unless they had to go wash their hands in the back sink, which no one ever did.

"So, now that I have reiterated the rules one more time," Ms. Hank said sharply. "I have graded what you've had so far, which I will show you, and maybe this time you can get a few extra points for trying."

A few sighs, and groans, littered the classroom. Everyone was just as annoyed as she was. Ms. Hank began calling up names, and the looks that accompanied them as they returned to their seats gave me an uneasy feeling. I waited impatiently, unknowingly bouncing my leg, causing Tyler to let go of my hand and rest it on my knee.

"Hey," he whispered. "It's okay. Don't worry."

I shot him a terrified look, wishing he could just hold me right now. But we were in school, and that meant no public physical contact. We still had to pretend we hated each other, which was getting harder and harder to as each day passed.

"Mercedes and Tyler," Ms. Hank called out, pursing her lips.

We got up, being careful not to bump each other, and made our way to her desk as everyone began packing up. Our teacher gave us a withering glare, and showed us our grade.

Holy crap, no.

"A sixty-four?" Tyler whispered, his eyes wide.

"I'm very disappointed, more so with the two of you than anyone else," she said sourly. "You missed two diaper changes, chucked one at a student might I add, missed three feedings, and allowed your parents to keep an eye on the baby instead of doing it yourselves. This isn't something to blow off, and if this was a real baby, I don't understand how it would fare."

"We weren't blowing it off," Tyler blurted.

Ms. Hank gave him a look as the bell rang, cueing the whole class to swarm out into the hall. She waited until they were gone before continuing.

"I wasn't finished, Mr. Dorran. What I was going to say, is that I will put this as a daily grade and, if you do better this week, a ninety."

"A ninety?" I asked, flustered. What the hell is she on?

"You two got along," Ms. Hank explained. "I told you this would be good for you, and I was right. Although you partially neglected the baby, your relationship was repaired in the process. I wasn't blind this fall, I could tell you two were mad at each other."

Tyler and I were silent for a moment, both of us speechless. She's like a freaking hawk. What the hell!

"Shoo," she said, realizing we weren't going to speak anytime soon. "I don't want you to be late to your next class. But be ready tomorrow, baby duty for everyone once again."