Chapter 11: Bad Idea

Bad Idea

I skirted past a group of annoying, giggling freshmen girls on my way to third period. I felt the need to hide, to sink into a hole and be gone from sight.

Replaying in my mind, on repeat, was the whole day. Already it was off to a rough start when I remembered I was deliberately not talking to Mercedes, and then it got progressively worse when all I could think about was Antoni.

Sigh, Antoni Garza. His hair, his eyes, hell, even his eight pack. Damn.

Realizing what I was thinking, I mentally scolded myself. There was no way in hell I should be thinking of the leader of the fuckboys like that. Rules or no rules, that was one thing I considered forbidden.

I walked across the courtyard, glimpsing the fleeting figure of Mercedes as she entered dance. I pursed my lips, fighting the anger that swirled inside me. Some best friend she was.

Upon entering Orchestra, I grabbed my violin from my locker and set my bag down in its place. Making sure I got my music binder, I closed my locker and walked towards my seat. I placed my binder on the music stand and sat down to take out my violin.

Why is Mercedes acting like this?

More questions popped up in my head as I put a shoulder rest on my violin while simultaneously plucking the strings with my thumb.

Could she be lying to me about something else?

I tightened my bow and was finally ready to start tuning when I heard someone plop down next to me.

"Val, hey, did you hear what happened this morning?"

I gave her a pointed look. "I'm about to tune, if you couldn't tell, Lydia."

Lydia looked at me apologetically. "Sorry but I just wanted to know if you've heard anything."

I sighed. Of course she wouldn't stop nagging whenever gossip surfaced. "What is it?"

"It's about Mercedes."

My best friend instincts kicked into action, and I realized regardless if I was mad, I still cared about her.

"What about her?" I asked urgently.

"She was with Tyler this morning. He drove her to school. People are saying they did something together."

"Did what?"

Lydia looked around before scooting closer to me and whispering in my ear. "They think they're having sex."

I stared at the music stand, a numbness washing over me. Would they really? I asked myself, hoping it wasn't true. I couldn't see Mercedes even agreeing to have sex with Tyler, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I barely even knew my best friend.

"Well," I said awkwardly as Lydia moved away. "I don't think so."

"If that's what you think," Lydia shrugged, standing to go to her seat. "The thing about rumors is to find who started it, or just ask her yourself."

I nodded and started to tune my A string lightly. It just can't be true... right?

*

The walk to geometry was nerve racking. If I was being brutally honest, I was scared to face Mercedes. But I had to know the truth.

I kept repeating that to myself over and over in my head up until I reached class. Taking in a deep breath, I stepped into the room, spotting Mercedes already in her seat and typing on her phone. I shakily crossed the tiles, sinking down into my seat and getting out a pencil. Why did Ms. Tassle let me and Merc sit together?