Chapter 4: Salsa Equals Torture

Salsa equals torture

I hurried to my third period class, wanting to avoid Valerie just in case she asked about the journal. Normally, I wasn't afraid, but I had a premonition that something was going to happen sooner or later. I was terrified.

As I was about to stop and go into my dance class, I felt someone shove right past me. Scowling, I glared after them, ready to say something but noticed who it was. Valerie had shoved past me. I stared as she sprinted across the courtyard to go to advanced orchestra.

Something was up.

Valerie was never this late, or shoved past people just to get to her class. It had to have been something in second period... It just has got to be.

Forcing myself to stop wondering the possibilities, I entered my dance class, just as the bell rang. Mrs. Garcia, our teacher, looked at me sternly before telling us all to take off our shoes and stay in our socks.

"Today, class," she said in her spanish accent. "We will be learning to salsa dance!"

It was silent- until the cry of a baby broke the quiet.

"Sorry!" Tyler called out, hurrying to the side of the room where Tyshaeisha was sitting in her baby carriage.

Mrs. Garcia looked at him, then me. I smiled weakly and said, "It's for Home Ec... I didn't know she would cry in class..."

Let's just say Tyler and I weren't her favorites, and that she doesn't have kids, because the minute my partner came to me with Tyshaeisha, Mrs. Garcia snapped, "Detention, Mr. Dorran!"

"What?" he said, shocked. "What have I done?"

"I told you, Mrs. Garcia," I said hotly. "This is for a school pro-"

"Detention for you as well, Ms. Dittmar."

The whole class was silent. I knew that they understood this wasn't fair. But Mrs. Garcia was a total bitch and anybody who talked back was automatically given detention. I was totally going to the front office during lunch to tell them what happened.

Tyshaeisha continued crying, and I took her from Tyler's arms, right as Mrs. Garcia shooed us off the floor.

"Quit disrupting my class with that thing of yours, saying it's a project. Lies all around this place. Come back in when you've calmed down the brat- and yourselves."

Tyler stomped out of the classroom, and I gave Mrs. Garcia a withering look when she was turned around, before following my partner. We stopped just outside the door and I continued to hold Tyshaeisha when someone from our grade passed by us.

"So they were right," he smirked, giving us each a once over. "Mercedes and Tyler do have a child, or is this your second one?"

I felt my eye twitch but didn't do anything, considering I held Tyshaeisha. Tyler, on the other hand, glared darkly at the boy and snarled, "Piss off, Martin. Nobody listens to a rat like you. It's a wonder that you actually got knocked up, or wait... Was that for an auction instead? How much did they pay for you? A penny?"

Martin glared back, taking a threatening step towards me and Tyshaeisha- who was still crying. Tyler stood in front of us protectively, saying darkly, "If you touch either one of them, I swear I will skin you alive."

Martin laughed, his piggish features more present than ever. "Nice one, Dorran. I'm sooo scared."

I stayed close to the wall, trying to inspect Tyshaeisha while Tyler and Martin were glaring at each other. Almost suddenly, a whiff of a disgusting scent filled my nostrils and I inwardly gagged. Tyshaeisha had pooped.