Chapter 2: Scary Baby

Scary Baby

"Class, settle down! Robert, get off the desk!"

Everybody quieted down as my Home Economics teacher, Ms. Hank, stepped in front of the class. She counted the seats, her way of taking role, and was about to mark those absent when Tyler ran in.

"Sorry I'm late," he panted, rushing to his seat. Which was next to mine.

Ms. Hank gave him a short nod, which was unusual considering she would normally chew out a student who was late, but I could easily see how she'd let this one slide.

In U.S History we had a sub, so I was the student who took down the attendance to the front office. When I entered the room, I noticed Tyler sitting down in one of the chairs. He didn't even look at me as I walked past him and when I exited the front office, he wasn't even there anymore. My assumption is that he's in trouble- end of story.

"Class," Ms. Hank announced. "Like  all other Home Ec. Periods containing Seniors, we will be doing a project."

The class groaned and a few seniors gave our teacher a withering glare. I took this opportunity to glance at Tyler, who had calmed down by now but had a small bead of sweat trickling down his face. As if he felt me looking at him, he turned his head to face me.

"Still not talking to me?" He questioned softly, so the teacher wouldn't hear. When I didn't answer, he frowned, but his voice was laced with venom as he said, "Fine. Act like a bitch."

I bit back a scowl, tuning into what Ms. Hank was saying. There was no way I was going to break my silence, I've already gotten this far.

"Your partner for this project will be the person sitting next to you-"

More groans erupted from the class and I felt my blood grow cold. She had to be joking.

"This project will only be for a few days, guys," Ms. Hank said sharply. "So don't go complaining to me about your partner, I won't do anything about it."

Dammit.

"Like I was saying, we will be doing a project and the focus is this: how well can you fare as parents. Each group will be given a baby and it is you and your partner's job to take care of it. If you fail to do so, then I will know automatically since there are tiny cameras' in the baby's eyes. Do not try and trick me.

"Once I call up you and your partner, I will give you a baby in a carriage along with clothes and a bottle. The bottle can be filled up with real milk, so don't be alarmed if you think you're going to damage it. It is your choice to name your baby as well and if it isn't obvious already, the baby will cry so do not neglect it at all. Lastly, since this is with a partner, your grade is their grade. I expect that each partner will have at least one round with the baby.

"Again, if you fail to do so, I can watch from the baby's eyes. Now, any questions?"

The whole class was silent, all in shock. This could not be happening. I could not be partnered with Tyler Dorran with a project that contains a baby. Is Ms. Hank on drugs? Stoned? High?

"Alrighty then," my teacher said slowly before clapping her hands and beginning to call out partners.

"Winter and Zane."

"Sadie and Albert."

"Robert and Mina."

She continued reading down the list until it was at it's final partnership.

"Mercedes and Tyler."

We both got up, which made the people in our grade begin whispering. Joy.