Chapter Thirty Nine- You can't afford to buy a dance.

I tilted my head at the girl in the reflection. She looked... awesome. Her red curls tumbled loosely over her shoulders, and the expensive earrings behind them caught the light nicely. The black dress clung to her curves, making her look effeortlessly glamourous and the new high heels made her legs look longer and slimmer. She looked happy.

I started to laugh; really laugh. It was ridiculous.

"What?" Jake asked, looking confused as I slumped against my bed, unable to control my laughter.

"It's just... My whole family died in a car crash three months ago, my best friend died of cancer and now my boyfriend has the same cancer. And I look happy and it's just so crazy," I choked out, still giggling.

Jake was quiet for a moment, but even he couldn't help but start laughing.

"And my parents were killed in a terrorist attack, and all my life I've grown up not thinking about them, just being happy," he added.

"It's so stupid," I told him.

"And ironically funny."

"I don't know why it's funny. It just is."

The door opened and Josh stared at us for a moment, grinning. "What's so funny?"

I felt my face straighten up and I stopped laughing instantly. "Nothing."

Josh rolled his eyes and helped me up. "Whatever. Everyone's waiting for you two."

Josh kept his hand tightly entwined around mine as we headed downstairs, and Jake took my other hand as we left my room.

"I found them," Josh called.

Everyone down in the hall turned around, and Sam smiled up at me, walking towards the bottom of the stairs. He looped his arms around my waist and pulled me tight against hsi chest.

"You look beautiful," he whispered, pressing his forehead against mine.

"Thanks. You look amazing too," I murmured, earning a cocky grin off him.

"Thanks. Umm, Dad did something stupid," he told me carefully.

"It's not stupid, it's tradition," Steve huffed.

"The Ball we're going to, it's to raise money for the hospital and one of the ways they do that is for the doctors and their families to sell dances," Sam explained.

"What does that mean?"

"Dad signed all of us up for it. You put a picture and a bio thing and they go in the post with invitations. You can buy dances with them."

"Oh. That sounds fun. Why didn't I get told?" I asked.

"Sorry, honey. We sort of forgot you wouldn't know about them."

"By the way, don't expect to dance with a lot of strangers tonight. We brought a lot of your dances," Jake said, grinning sheepishly.

I stood by a small bar with Sam for a while. The ball was starting to get quite boring. I hardly knew anybody there. A dj anounced that the dances were about to begin, so I looked down at the little card I had been given at the door. My first dance was Steve.

"I'm afraid I'm gojg to have to steal her away for a few minutes, son," Steve said to Sam.

"That's alright. Have fun," Sam said, dropping a kiss on my forehead before I walked away with Steve.

I danced with Jake and Josh next. It was sweet that they bought my first dances, so i could get used to it before I danced with a load of strangers. i walked back over to Sam after Josh's dance finished and looked at my card again.