Chapter Thirty Seven- Why are you scared?

Recap:

“You have three seconds to get the fuck away from my girlfriend,” Sam snarled. Theo pulled back enough for me to see him, stood in the doorframe, his hands curled into tight fists.

“Get out of here,” Theo growled.

“1,” Sam warned, earning a glare from Theo. “2.”

“Go away!”

“3.”

Chapter Thirty Seven: Cherry's P.O.V

Sam was across the barn in a flash, practically ripping me away from Theo. I stumbled backwards and landed in the hay, freezing as the two boys squared up to eachother.

I grabbed my phone and dialled the first person I could think of.

"Hello? Who is this?"

"It's Cherry. Sam and Theo are, like, seriously hitting eachother in the barn. Make them stop!" I cried.

"Hey, calm down honey, I'll be right down," he murmured, disconnecting

I chucked my phone on the floor. "Guys. Guys; stop it! C'mon, you're being ridiculous."

"Chez, get out of here!" Sam grunted, pushing Theo further away from me.

"Not until you stop!" I huffed. I contemplated trying to drag them apart, but they were both throwing punches and I didn't particularly want a black eye. I sighed and sat back dwon in the hay, folding my arms and watching them angrily. At that moment, I hated being a girl.

I heard the engine of a quad and brakes squeeling outside, and then he ran inside.

"Sam Lockhart, get up now," Scott growle,d using his cop voice. Sam and Theo froze and slowly moved away from eachother while I smiled. I called the right person, I figured.

"Scott," Sam muttered, but Scott waved him off.

"You," he said, pointing to Sam. "Go check your girlfriend's okay, she looks scared. And you, Theo, get your ass outside."

Theo sighed and followed Scott out of the barn, while Sam watched me cautiously.

"Why are you scared?" He whispered.

I gulped. "I'm not."

A smirk tugged at the corner of his lips, but he bit it back. "Liar. Tell me."

I groaned and buried my face in my knees. "I didn't want to get punched."

He chuckled. Loudly. For a long time. "You're hilarious," he muttered, sitting next to me and pulling me onto his lap.

"I'm a girl; my face is important to me!" I protested, smiling with him.

His smile suddenly dropped and he looked up at me with hsi big, blue eyes. "You still love him."

I gulped and nodded. I didn't want to lie to Sam.

"Then be with him."

"No."

"Why not?"

"I want you," i whispered.

"But you don't love me?"

I sighed. Did I love Sam? The thought scared me, but I actually quite liked it. I could picture myself falling in love with Sam easily. "I want to."

"But you don't," he murmured.

"Not yet."

He smiled brightly all of a sudden and brushed his lips over mine. "That made my day."

I giggled, sounding like a love-struck teenager but not caring. "Why?"

"Because I'm going to the next Red Sox game with my girlfriend," he muttered, laughing.

"Why is that funny?" I asked, tracing patterns on his firm chest.

"It's not. It's surreal."

"hey, wait. I never got my christmas present," I remembered, pouting.

"We're going in a few hours," he told me.

"Where?"

"Shopping. You can have whatever you want."

"Idiot."

He grinned. "I'm crap at picking gifts, so to make up for the lack of wrapping and surprises you have no budget. Except maybe, like, ten thousand."

"Sam, not even I can spend ten thousand dollars on clothes," I muttered.

He gave me a blank look. "Shoes."

I opened my mouth to argue, but shrugged instead. "Okay, fine, you have a point there."

"Then you can wear them to the new Years eve party."

"Who's hosting it?"

"Drew."

Drew? "We don't know a Drew," I muttered.

He grinned. "You do."

"the only Drew I know lives in.... Oh my god. really!?" I squealed.

"Yep," he chuckled.

"You're coming with me, right?"

"Yeah, what d'you think the two plane tickets are for?"

"Well, a visit... But so soon?"

"Yeah. We leave on the 28th and we'll be back on the 4th in time for the game on the 5th. Excellent timing on mom's behalf, I think," he said, smiling happily. It was the first tiem I'd seen Sam that happy, he always had a sort of dark cloud over his head. I cupped his cheek in my hand, stroking my thumb under his eye. He sighed and closed his eyes, leaning into my hand.

"S-Sam?" I mumbled.

"Yeah?"

"Are you... okay?"

He ducked his head. "Not really."

"What's wrong?"

"I don't want to tell you," he muttered.

"Why not?"

"I haven't told anyone. Not even my mom," he whispered.

"How can you hide something from Jenna? She knows everything."

"I went to a hospital in a different state so dad wouldn't find out," he muttered, then froze.

"Hospital!?"

"Shit. Just, erm, just pretend you didn;t hear that and everything will be fine, okay?"

I shoved his shoulder and he wimced slightly. "Spill it. Now."

"I, umm. I-I.... I can't say it!" he groaned.

"Sam!"

"I have cancer! You happy now?" He yelled.