Prologue

“It’s so sad you can’t come with us today,” mum cooed, stroking the hair back from my forehead, which was hot and damp thanks to my blow-dryer and a damp cloth.

“Sorry mum,” I said, letting out a convincing cough. “Next time, when I’m not so sick.”

She sighed and straightened out my blanket. “We’ll be back late. There’s some soup in the microwave for dinner and things in the fridge for lunch. Get some rest and take some more medicine at 2 o’clock, okay?”

“Okay mum. Thanks,” I mumbled.

“Love you,” she said as she walked out of the room.

“Love you too,” I called.

I felt bad lying to my parents, but Nicky and I had been planning that day for a long time. It wasn’t exactly my fault that my parents had sprung this Alton Towers day on me two week before. It’s not that I didn’t enjoy spending time with my family; I did. In fact, I loved it. I just couldn’t cancel on Nick.

“So, got the flu, huh?” my brother Jack asked me knowingly, crossing his muscular arms over his chest as he leaned against my door frame.

I bit my lip. “You’re not going to tell mum and dad, are you?”

“Please. I just wish I’d thought of it myself,” he scoffed, coming into my room and shutting the door behind him. “Devious little bugger.”

I grinned at him. “Have I ever told you how awesome you are?”

He faked a puzzled frown. “No. I don’t recall that.”

“Well you’re as awesome as Reese’s pieces,” I told him confidently.

“Reese’s pieces?” He gasped. “As in, your favourite and most awesoemest sweets in the World?”

I giggled at his fake-stiletto voice. “Yes.”

He flashed me a cocky grin. “I’m just that cool.”

I rolled my eyes and pulled a pillow from behind my head to throw at him. Of course, he caught it before it hit his face and chucked it on the floor.

“Ha ha. Too slow little sis,” he teased.

Jack was sat at the foot of my bed at this point, so I reached out and kicked him in the back.

“Ha ha,” I mocked.

“You’re going to regret that in a minute,” he said, his eyes twinkling.

“You’re not going to bully an innocent, poorly little girl, are you Jack?” I asked, faking another cough.

“Innocent and poorly my arse,” he scoffed, ripping away my blanket. He grabbed my waist and started to tickle me mercilessly. I let out a startled scream that had my dad running into the room, my one year old brother balanced effortlessly in his arms.

“Jack, get off your sister now,” he barked. “She’s ill. Apologise. And give her back her pillow.”

Jack leaned away, grinning. “Sorry Cherry.”

He picked up my pillow and dumped it on my face. I ripped it away and shoved it back under my head. “S’okay.”

Dad rolled his eyes and placed one hand on my forehead before smirking. “You better be home before we get back, or your mother will go crazy.”

Jack let out a snort of laughter. “See you later, Cher. Love ya.”

“Love you too,” I muttered.

Dad sent me one last grin on his way out. A few minutes later, I heard the elevator whir to life and they were gone. Freedom at last.

I walked across the few streets, taking the quickest route possible to Sweet Treats bakery. Nick’s dad, Alan, owned it, and he and his brother Drew worked there every morning until eleven. I grinned at few of the other shopkeepers on my way past and finally made it to Sweet Treats. It was packed. I shoved past a few people and leaned over the counter, smiling lazily at Drew.