Chapter Six- C'mon Newbie!

** Picture of the twins on the side. Theo's Brunettee, Lindon's blonde :) **

"Now, here is your timetable, and a map to help you find your way around school. I don't think you'll need it, you seem to be in all of Mr Lockhart's classes," Mr Edison, the head teacher, said, looking stern.

"Purely coincidental," I assured.

"Well, not quite," Jake murmured.

"And that means?"

"In London I took six subjects. I could only do three here this term, and three of the six happened to be the same as Jake's. I chose to do those three first so I could settle down here easier in his classes," I explained, glaring at Jake.

"Oh, well, okay then. You have twenty minutes of homeroom left, I suppose you better hurry along and introduce yourself to the teacher. Goodbye."

Well that was blunt. "Bye," I muttered.

Jake silently left the room, towing me along with him.

Five minutes later he was about to open a door which I presumed led to our homeroom class.

"Have I upset you?" I asked him, placing my hand over his as he reached for the door handle.

His eyes widened slightly. "What? No! Why?"

"You've barely said ten words since we got out of the car."

"Sorry, I'm just not good with people. I get shy when I'm around them; especially if I don't know them well," he explained.

"You didn't know me."

"I know. It was weird, but I saw you and it felt like I'd known you as long as I've known Sam, and I guess I reacted the same way as I would've if Sam had gone through that."

"Okay," I mumbled. "Shall we go in now?"

He smiled down at me kindly. "Yeah."

He opened the door and walked by my side to the teacher's desk.

"This is Cherry, she's new here. Cherry, this is Mrs Bakewell," Jake muttered.

"Well hi there Cherry, do you know Jake well?" She asked in a strong Southern accent.

I looked over at Jake to find he was biting back a laugh. "I live with him."

"You do? Oh, you must be the girl the principal was talking about. Sweetie, how are you doing?"

I forced a smile. "Good, thanks," I lied.

Jake placed his hand at the small of my back and warmth spread over me.

"Well good. You two go sit on down. There's no point doing any work now, y'all only have ten minutes left before first period."

I followed Jake to the back of the room, smiling at a few students who looked up at me curiously.

"Ellie, com'ere!" Jake called across the Art room. "Ellie!"

A girl with frizzy blonde hair rushed out of the supply closet.

"Jesus, Jake, don’t be so damn loud! Oh, who's this?" She asked, wiping dust off her hands with her jeans.

"This is Cherry," Jake said, grinning as he pushed me towards the girl.

"Hi! I'm Ellie," she told me, shaking my hand. "What art do you like?"

"Sketching," I mumbled.

"Oh, now look he's being shy," Jake whispered in my ear, one arm snaking around my waist.