Carla's Tragedy

“Boop!"

Poppy woke up to see Creek smiling at her. He must've came to check in on her.

“How are you feeling?" he asked.

“A little better," Poppy replied. Then, she felt the urge to throw up. She excused herself and threw up in her sink. When she was finished, Creek led her back to her bed.

“Did you see a doctor?" he asked. Poppy nodded. “And what did she say?"

“It's nothing," Poppy lied. But Creek could see right through her.

“Poppy, I've known you for a long time. You've always had a healthy body, mind, and spirit. If you don't want to tell me, that's fine. But it may be best if you let this go. Clarity is the path to inner peace."

Later that morning, Poppy accepted and knew she had to do something about her pregnancy. To simply ignore it wouldn't do her, or her unborn child, any good. Babies required a lot of care even before birth. But she couldn't let anyone, not even Creek... dear, sweet Creek... know she was having a baby.

Fortunately, there was one Troll who Poppy could trust, mostly because she already knew.

“Carla!" Poppy called out. The teenage Troll turned to face the young queen. “Carla, I need to ask you a favor."

Carla nodded.

“Thank you!" Poppy sighed in relief. “Here's some money, I need you to buy these things for me."

Poppy gave her a list that explained what she would need. Prenatal vitamins, clothes that would support her body, calm music... Carla looked up at Poppy and raised an eyebrow.

Poppy groaned. “Okay, I'm pregnant. And I don't want anyone to know, so promise you won't tell anyone. Especially... never mind him."

Poppy thought that by not telling her it was Branch, Carla could keep the secret better. Carla held out her pinky finger as a gesture to make a promise. Poppy obliged.

But Carla knew exactly who she was talking about.

“Satin! Chenille!"

Poppy entered the fashion twins' pod and saw them holding a bunch of dresses.

“Poppy, thank goodness you're here!" Satin exclaimed.

“We need your help!" Chenille finished.

“Sure, what do you need?" Poppy asked.

“The Summer Festival is in two months, and we want to get a head start on a new fashion line," Satin explained. “And we need you to model for us."

“By the way, we heard you were sick and ate Cooper's macaroons," Chenille mentioned. “Are you feeling okay now?"

“I'm fine," Poppy replied​. “Thanks for asking."

🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻

Carla, meanwhile, went to the drugstore to buy what Poppy asked her for. As she checked off the list, she saw a baby doll on a shelf and grabbed it. Carla's ​eyes welled with tears as she held it to her chest.

When Carla was sixteen, she dated a handsome young man who was very smart. Unfortunately, they weren't very careful and he ended up claiming her virginity and got her pregnant. Trolls were usually very tender, loving creatures, so Carla thought her boyfriend would accept the baby. But instead, he forced her to get rid of it. He thought if everyone found out, his good name would be ruined. Carla had no other choice but to give in to his pressure. He dumped her shortly after. No one else knew about what could've been, and Carla had barely spoken since.

“Are you shopping for a friend?" asked an expectant mother whose abdomen was the size of a berry.

Carla escaped her train of thought and nodded. She wiped a tear off her face.

“Well, tell her I said congratulations," the new mother added and continued shopping. Carla decided to resume her errand as well.

After a long day of trying on dresses, Poppy returned home and met up with Carla, who gave her all the things she asked for.

“Thank you, Carla," said Poppy. “This means a lot to me."

Carla just shrugged and left.

That night, Poppy looked in her mirror with a pillow tucked under her nightgown. In a few months, it wouldn't be a pillow. It fascinated her, really. One beautiful but confusing moment resulted in something so amazing: a new life growing inside her.

“I don't know if I'll make a good mother," Poppy whispered to her unborn baby, “but I will try. I promise."

I have a lot of original characters that I don't really use. My favorite, though, is a half-grey, teenage Troll named Willow. I want to write something​ about her, but I'm not really sure. Besides, Branch hates her.

Please leave a vote ★