Protectiveness

Branch woke up that morning to hear an insanely loud chorus of Trolls somewhere out in the village. They were singing his least favorite song, which was tied with every other song in existence. This one was about sunshine, lollipops and other sickeningly sweet things. The Trolls have been louder and happier than usual lately. Branch decided to see what all the fuss was about. So, he got out of bed, put on some clothes, climbed out of his bunker, and headed straight for the village.

As soon as he made it into Troll Village, Branch crossed paths with Satin and Chenille, who were singing an electric-pop tune.

One night is all it takes

We become one to make it right

One night to save the day

We'll show them all...

The twins stopped the minute they saw the familiar, grey Troll. His signature scowl glued to his face.

“Morning, girls," he greeted harshly.

“Good morning, Branch!" Chenille replied with a sweet voice.

“Why the sour face, Branchie?" Satin asked.

“Fiddlesticks, I hate that nickname," Branch muttered before answering. “If you guys are gonna sing, could you at least sing quiet enough to the point where I can't hear you? Or the Bergens for that matter!"

“We would if we could," Satin said.

“But we can't, so we shan't," Chenille finished.

Branch was getting impatient. “Why not?"

“We're rehearsing for the biggest party ever tomorrow!" they answered in sync.

“The what?" Branch asked. If there really was going to be another party, wouldn't Poppy say something to him?

“Poppy's throwing a huge party tomorrow," Satin explained.

“To celebrate freedom from the Bergens!" Chenille added. “She's even going to bring the baby princess!"

“Interesting," Branch muttered, his teeth tightly clenched. Flower was almost six months old now, which is still too young for her mother's parties!

“What's wrong?" Satin asked.

“I need to speak with Poppy," Branch replied. “Where can I find her?"

“Probably at her house," Satin answered.

“Are you going to yell at her again?" Chenille asked angrily.

“I'll try not to," Branch replied. “But since when have I ever yelled at her?"

“A little over a year ago," Satin answered.

“When she invited you to a slumber party," Chenille added. “Of course, she didn't come till morning. She said you made her cry and went straight home."

Not bad for a fake alibi, Branch thought. “I can assure you two I did not yell at her."