C H A P T E R 4: Ghost's that we knew

Madeline was usually never bored.

But when you're condemned to being stuck on a ship with limited activities and space you find that becoming bored can be achieved quite easily.

Everyone seemed to have fallen into their own routines aboard the Dying Gull. Everyone seemed to be useful in a way. Carina doing her calculations and such, Henry helping Jack, and the rest of the crew doing what a crew of a ship did. The only one who felt like a useless nuisance was Madeline. She had quite literally nothing to do.

Apart from having the occasional chat with Henry, or taking a small astronomy lesson with Carina, she barely did anything else but look at the sea. and that's what had been happening for the last three days since they boarded. Madeline didn't doubt that the Pirates began regretting bringing her with them.

Right now was a rare moment in which they were all together. Henry and Madeline were leaning on the railing, watching Carina jot down some things in her journal. The rest of the crew had formed some sort of half circle around them.

"So" Gibbs spoke out "she's sayin' she's got the map, but she's the only one that can follow it?"

So we should..." Marty starts but Henry cut him of.

"Leave her be. She will take us to the trident"

"You've been saying that for hours!" Gibbs complained

Madeline crossed her arms while turning to look at the Pirates. "Well maybe if you lot weren't breathing down her neck at all hours, she might manage to get more done"

The Pirates turned to look at her, and she only gave them a smug look, knowing she had been right with that argument. They remained silent for a couple of minutes more before scrum decided to kick the conversation off again.

"Two things we know are true." He stated "That the stars don't shine by day... and she forgot a donkey."

"How can we go to a spot where no land exists in any map?" Gibbs questioned, ignoring what scrum had said.

Carina had enough and turned to face the Pirates, holding out a chronometer." This chronometer keeps the exact time in London. I'm using it to make an altitude measurement to determine longitude, only then will we find our exact spot to see" Carina explained to the crew.

Madeline was impressed. "Can you really tell all that by just looking at the time?"

"Yes" responded the scholar.

"Amazing" Madeline mumbled

"So you expect to find the trident with a timepiece?" Cremble asked

Carina nodded. "Yes, my calculations are precise and true. I'm not only an astronomer, I'm also a horologist"

After hearing that words the Pirates began giving Carina strange looks, some looked down and some looked down right embarrassed for her.

"No shame in that dearie" Jack told Carina "We all have to make a living eh"

Carina looked around and began piecing together what they meant. "No, no, I'm a horologist"

"So was my mum, but she didn't cry a bad as lad as you" Scrum stated.

"Are you saying your mother was academically inclined" Carina asked the pirate dumbfounded