Chapter 6 - Starry Eyed in Starbucks

Chapter 6 - Starry eyed at Starbucks

*Oliver*

I kneaded my hands through my hair, my heart beating excruciatingly fast. This was the second day in a row I was distracted from class by a certain pizza boy with mesmerizing eyes, and this time….this time I had a date.

It was an apology date, but it was a date. I would learn his name. I would get to know him. I might even become friends with him. I was so happy by this prospect that I kept thinking about him, and Toby had to nudge me to remind me to take notes.

I hadn't told Alice anything. I felt bad but I know she'd go over the top and scare me about it more, so I would tell her when I got back. I had told her I was going out tonight and didn't know when I'd be back, but that was it.

It was 3pm. Three hours until it ended and I would go to Starbucks and meet the cute pizza guy. I was bored out of my mind. I just wanted to go. Three hours was too long to wait to meet the guy who haunted my thoughts.

Even Harry was working faster than me, I thought as I glanced at my friend who was scribbling down notes. I sighed and tried to concentrate but my impending meeting was hovering over my head like a storm cloud - or a rainbow, because it was a good meeting.

Yay for gay rainbow references.

"Oliver, you're spacing out again," Toby nudged me and I groaned softly, resting my head against the table before trying with all my might to concentrate. Thankfully now we were doing an exercise so I had something interesting to take my mind off it.

We started the exercise, which was all to do with manipulating the brain temporarily. Obviously I was shit at it because I hadn't been listening but I soon caught the gist as Toby and Harry demonstrated well.

A couple of long hours passed. The exercise was good and because it was all to do with manipulating the brain, Toby practiced on us, so Harry and I were focused entirely for the next hour because that's what he told us to do. I guess it was like brainwashing or hypnotizing, but a really mild form.

Then the lecturer told us to pack up our stuff and any thoughts went out of the window.

I was going to meet him.

I was going to meet the guy with the stunning, honest eyes, the heartwarming smile, the sweet face and the polite demeanor.

God I was whipped, but I loved it.

I rammed everything haphazardly into my folder, knowing I’d have to be really quick to dodge Alice. I said goodbye to my friends and walked faster than I thought possible on the way home, my heart juddering and not just from the exercise. I was so nervous. What did he think of me? I felt belittled by him.

Slotting my key in the lock, I sprinted upstairs, chucked my binder on my desk and began to panic as I realized I couldn't turn up looking like I did. I tried to even out my hair - it was eternally messy - then put a nicer looking pair of jeans on, thinking the t-shirt was alright. I pulled on my Vans and scribbled a note to Alice saying I didn't know what time I'd be back, then grabbed my wallet and left.

I took a few deep breaths to calm myself down. I didn't even know him, and this was just casual, but why did it feel like a first date? It was just my wishes but I hoped it was the beginning of a friendship. I wanted to get to know him.

Starbucks was only a few minutes from my house and when it came into sight, I took a few deep breaths, composing myself. I couldn't walk in looking like I'd run a race or something. That was unattractive and stupid.

I entered the coffee shop, my eyes doing a sweep of the room. He wasn't even there, I noted grimly as I sat in a corner. I kept glancing at the clock on my phone. 6:10. 6:15. My heart began to sink and I began to lose hope. What if…what if he had just been kidding? What if he thought I was a retarded freak and was now laughing somewhere because I fell for it - and him?