Chapter 3 - Sighting in Subway

Chapter 3 - sighting in subway

*Oliver*

"No, no, no, that kind of chemistry is far too complicated for me to explain at this point in time. You will learn sometime later in the term,"

The balding lecturer stood at the front of the large room, occupied by about forty or so people. He was a kind man, with small round glasses and a constantly anxious looking face, but his eyes twinkled joyously when he smiled.

I sat somewhere in the middle, next to a couple of friends I had accumulated over the past year. Toby sat to my right, his thick, curly brown hair hiding most of his face from view. He was the shy guy in the back of the class, but amazingly intelligent. It was he who had asked the question to the lecturer which prompted that response.

Harry sat on my left, with short, spiky blonde hair and glasses, looking similar to Mikey Way, just with shorter hair. He chatted a lot but he tried hard, despite rarely meeting deadlines. He was now scribbling down notes furiously from the board.

I jotted down the occasional thing but I knew a lot of it anyway, having revised a lot last week. It was just a case of remembering it - difficult for a Monday morning. Almost afternoon now, I realized as I looked at the clock. Class had started a couple of hours ago and I didn’t have a massively long attention span, so I found myself drifting off every now and then.

Mostly it was about the pizza guy. When I told Alice later that afternoon that I'd seen him again, she'd slapped my arm for being an idiot and not approaching him, but I mean come on. He might be a complete douche for all I knew; I didn’t know him, I couldn’t just randomly ask for his number.

"Oliver…hey, Oliver," I glanced up as Harry nudged me. "Class is over,"

"Right," I said hastily, standing up and stuffing my papers and notes into my binder. It was half twelve, thank the lord, and lunchtime so Harry, Toby and I met up with our friends Jordan, Lucy and Rachel and then headed out to Subway.

It was a sunny day and I was grateful; I hated rain and clouds and any other type of weather, really. I liked warmth and sunshine, and maybe snow sometimes. I let the warmth of the sun heat me up as I walked with Jordan, talking about an Xbox game that had just been released.

We entered Subway and joined the queue, Jordan and I still talking enthusiastically about the video game while Toby, who stood next to us, looked bored.

"Did you hear that it's going to be the best of the series? They're including new weapon settings and everything," Jordan said.

"I did hear that the armoury is being upgraded, we get higher level stuff now," I replied and he nodded enthusiastically.

"Gosh I can't wait to get it," he said, bouncing up and down on the spot excitedly. I grinned broadly.

"Me neither," then I chuckled. "Alice is going to be majorly pissed off," I said, thinking of how irritated she got when I was buzzing over a new game and never spent any time with her. Jordan laughed, too; he had been over our house playing video games with me so many times that he knew exactly what she was like.

Finally, we got to the front of the queue. The girls ordered little Subs with a bit of lettuce and ham and that was it, which made us boys tease them. I had a load of lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cheese (lots of cheese) and peppers. I could barely get it into my mouth to take a bite.

Harry waved a chunk of chicken in my face and I waved it away irritably as he started saying how delicious and yummy and succulent the chicken was, which made me roll my eyes and continued to tear chunks out of my Sub. I had been a vegetarian for ten years and didn't even like the smell of meat, which my friends were quick to pick up on.