Ch. 3- Such an Angry Devil

KATRINA

I sat at the bar with a beer in my hands. A man next to me teetered on the edge of passing out, and a fight was about to break out in the back. Demon was not a very classy bar, but neither were the people that came to it. The patrons were surprisingly all demons. Shocking, I know. The decor of the room was mainly all red and black with a few puke stains here and there. Smoke filled the air making it seem hazy.

“Hey! Katrina!” A man entering the bar shouted, “Long time no see!”
“Pauly,” I growled under my breath just as he spanked my ass. I was out of my seat in no time, grabbing his groin with my claws. “Don’t you ever touch me,” I spat in his face before releasing him and sitting back down.
“Nice to see you too,” Pauly replied clearly in pain. “How’s your old man?”
I glared at him and took a gulp of my beer before replying, “Going to see him now.”
A tall, lanky woman with greasy black hair walked into the bar and waved to Pauly. “Well, I got to go. Tell your pops I said hi!” He replied before going off into a dark corner of the bar with the putrid woman.

“Was that man bothering you?” An attractive man with a southern accent asked, sitting down next to me at the bar.
“He always does, but it’s okay. He is a friend of my family.”
“That’s good. I would hate to see a pretty young lady like yourself in trouble.”
I stared at this handsome mystery man, all the while avoiding his eyes. He had tanned skin, some decent sized muscles, and brown shaggy hair. “Don’t you worry. I can handle myself.”
The handsome stranger flashed some pearly whites in my face, “Greg. Greg Taylor.”
Greg stuck his hand out and I took it in mine, careful not to touch him with my claws, “Katrina. No last name.”
“Oh come on sweets. Everyone has to have a last name,” he drawled.
“Cher and Madonna. Point proven.”
“Well, you aren’t them. So come one angel. What’s your name?”
That’s it. Now he’s annoying me. “I’m no angel,” I said, looking into his dark, brown eyes. Instantly, his eyes glazed over. “Creature of the night, fly away, set the world up for an even worse day,” I mumbled in Latin, and he walked out of the bar and into the New York City streets in a trance.

I laughed and finished off the last of my beer, leaving some money on the bar. I had to get going or my dad was going to throw a fit. I walked to the back of the bar and entered the supply closet. I reached up and pulled the cord for the light three times. The room lit up and started to play annoying elevator music as it lowered into the ground, leading towards hell. I looked around and grabbed some disinfectant spray, and I sprayed my ass. Pauly was one of the lowly demons that worked for my father. He was no better than a fly on a horse’s ass but he thought he was all high and mighty. I enjoyed putting him in his place whenever I saw him. As for Greg, well, it never hurt to have another man in love with me. The closet dinged, and I opened the door.

Smoke and screams. That’s the best way I can describe the entrance to hell. The rest of it isn’t so bad, but the entrance is a horrid place, mainly to scare people off. Once you get past the entrance, it looks a lot like New York. It is always dark and there are tons of tall buildings. I unfolded my wings out of my back and took to the night sky. My dad’s house was near the middle of hell, but it only took a few minutes to fly there. I land in front of a nice looking townhouse and walk in.

“Katrina!” an attractive man said, pulling me into a warm embrace. He was unbelievably tall, had perfect muscles showing everywhere, he had messy black hair, and he looked about twenty-three. Oh, and he had red eyes. He was the devil--Dev, for short-- and he was actually a pretty chill guy.
“Hey Dev! Jasmine not with you?”
“Don’t get your hopes up Katrina,” a short, hour glass shaped woman with fiery red hair and eyes as black as night said as she entered the room. I groaned internally. Speak of the devil, or the devil’s wife I should say. You know how they say, behind every good man is a good woman? Well, behind the devil is an even worse woman. We’ve got a catch phrase down here in hell, “He’s got ninety-nine problems and a bitch is every one of them.”

To make matters worse, Jasmine hates me. When I was born, Dev was still single. So, he made a deal with my dad that someday when he would come of age, my sister or I would marry Dev. A few years later, Jasmine turned up out of some trench of hell and caught Dev’s eye. She was a sweet woman back then, and everyone loved her, until they got married. She became controlling and a down right bitch. However, a few years ago when I started “developing”, Dev took notice. And on my eighteenth birthday, Dev and I had... relations. Afterwards, we dated for quite awhile, after all, the devil can have multiple wives. It didn’t really work out with me living on Earth, but we still remain... “friends with benefits.” Which as you can imagine, pisses Jasmine off.

“So nice to see you, Katrina,” Jasmine said fakely, pulling me into a tight--a little too tight--embrace. Then, she went over to where Dev stood and gave him a passionate kiss, which the shorty practically had to jump to do. Dev pushed her aside annoyed, he was quite aware of her jealousy and he frankly didn’t give a rat’s ass. He loved both of us and didn’t like her pathetic attempts to rattle my cage.
“There’s my pumpkin!” Quinn shouted entering the room, opening his arms. “Hug your old man!”
“I’d rather not.”
“Well to bad kiddo,” he said enthusiastically as he wrapped his arms around me. Jasmine snickered at my discomfort. Such a bitch. “Who’s hungry?” My dad exclaimed, oblivious to the tension in the room.

"How do you like the wings, Katrina?"

“They are delicious, Dev. You really outdid yourself.”
“I made them just for you. I know they are your favorite,” Dev said, causing a harsh glare from Jasmine.
Dev ignored her, “So, how are things up on Earth?” How are the followers?”
I swallowed hard on my wings, “Uhm, the followers are good and urhm...”
“Kalila has been causing her troubles,” my dad interrupted.
“That little twerp is causing YOU problems?” Jasmine asked all snotty and superior-like.
Dev glared at his wife, “She has been causing all of use problems.” Dev turned back to me, “You have to stop her.”
“I’m trying, but it is so hard with Mitch always hanging around.”
“Ah yes, Mitch,” Dev said distantly. Then he snapped back, stared directly at me with his eyes on fire, “Katrina, you have to stay away from that boy.”
“But how will I...”
“I said stay away!” Dev said standing up and banging his hands down on the table, so that it shook and several plates fell off.
I looked around the room and saw that everyone was cowering in fear. Hell if I was one to back down. “Why should I do what you say?” I shouted back.
In one fluid motion, Dev tossed the table up and across the room. He crossed the room in one step, grabbed my shoulders, and threw me up against the wall. “Katrina, I swear to God, if you...”
“Ha! You? Swearing to God?” I angrily spat in his face.

Dev lifted me up into the air and threw me across the room. Instinctively, my black wings popped out of my back, saving me from a hard fall. Seeing my wings, Dev seemed to take a step back, and my dad took the opportunity to hold Dev back. Dev and I stared shocked at each other from across the room. I stood up, ready to leave the house.

“Katrina, wait! I’m sorry!” Dev yelled after me as I ran out of the house and out of his domain.