Chapter twenty six- An Egg

Chapter twenty seven- An egg

"Marble, you need to settle down for once," crooned a familiar voice. Scorch rested his head on Marble's shoulder. He and Marble had spent their lives together.

"I know, I know," she replied. "I just can't help it."  Marble eyed the glistening grey egg resting in their nest. If it were to hatch, it was due soon, and Marble was anxious. "Can you believe we might be parents?" Marble whispered again.

"Yeah. I can," Scorch said, smiling lazily. Marble sat back on her haunches, admiring her mate. She wondered why it had taken so much time for her to realize how amazing he was. It had been years since the peace had began. Both fully mature dragons, the pair had chosen their own cave together.
The TimeWings had moved back to the Island of Time, and a new leader had been chosen. Everything was as it should be, and new informants were sent out to gather more information about the going ons in Grinnen and Phyrria. Artica had gone off on her own with her newfound immortality, presumably to search for Lustrum, who was said to be alive.

"What if I'm not a good parent?" The TimeWing asked nervously.  Scorch nuzzled her snout affectionately. "You'll be an amazing mother. I know it. I know everything." Marble hit him with a wing, chuckling.

She had always thought two different tribes of dragons couldn't have eggs together, especially BloodWings and TimeWings, being opposites in most every way. Ten years ago, even the mention of a Blood-TimeWing was enough to get you killed, but in recent times, society had become more accepting of hybrids and a frail peace between the BloodWings and the TimeWings had been established. There were few cases of relationships between the two tribes (Marble and Scorch's being one of those), but the ones that had eggs always ended in disaster. Any Blood-TimeWings were always hatched with extreme deformities and had to be killed, or they just didn't hatch at all. Marble thought she had every reason to be worried. And if it did hatch, she wasn't sure what kind of parent she'd be. Her own had died when she was young.

But it was an egg. And Marble had always wanted an egg to call her own, to raise a dragonet. She admired the shell's soft grey tone, like that of a BloodWing. Except for the splotches and spots of dark grey, which was typical of TimeWing eggs. She lay down next to it's icy coolness, watching, waiting.

Scorch settled beside her, Marble's big, fiery guardian.

With warmth flooding from Scorch's scales and the alien comfort of the smooth egg against her side, Marble drifted off to sleep, dreaming of names for her little egg.

--------------

Crack!

Marble woke up instantly, so did Scorch. The egg was hatching.
They pair glanced uneasily at each other. "It's time. Will it be alright?" Scorch asked. Marble didn't answer. Honestly, she wasn't sure.

Until a little black head poked out of the egg shell and blinked at his parents with ghostly, glowing blue eyes. Marble held her breath. Would this be the first hybrid to ever survive?

The little thing crawled out of the egg on perfect, fully fonctional legs, and stared up at Marble with wide eyes. Marble stared back in awe. Flawless. The little hatchling was flawless. He was a TimeWing for sure, except black from snout to tail-tip. Black mane, black wings, black scales. Then those eyes, glowing like a Bloodwing's eyes but blue.

Marble thought he was the most adorable thing.

"Olympiad," Marble declared, then looked to Scorch for reassurance. He nodded in accord and grinned widely. "That's what we will name him," she said. Marble couldn't take her eyes off of him. She felt Scorch smiling ear to ear beside her, a proud father.

"Hello, Olympiad. Welcome to Grinnen," he said.

Little Olympiad gave a satisfied squeak, and rolled onto his back.

_______________

End.