Chapter five- Unusual Allies

The Bloodwing and the Timewing spread their wings, and launched themselves into the sky, heading for Pyrrhia.

"You know what?" Asked Marble.

"What?" Replied the dragon.

"Isn't it strange that we don't know each others names yet?"

"Yes, I believe it is. My name's Scorch".

"Scorch, cool. Mine's Marble".

"Alright, now that we know each others names, how old are you?" Asked Scorch.

Whoa, too fast, buddy.

"Why?" Asked Marble.

"I don't know, I don't like traveling with strangers" he said.

Marble contemplated telling him for a moment. Seems innocent enough.

"Well, I'm twelve" said Scorch, frowning.

"Twelve? Oh. I'm only ten." Marble sighed. He was two years older!

"Wow, I thought you were my age!" Scorch smiled, he seemed friendly. Marble still wasn't sure though. She would keep to her earlier promise. First sigh of trouble, and he was dead.

Soon they reached ocean. The dragons flew on, the sun slowly set behind them. Marble spotted a shallow cave in the side of a spike of rock that was sticking up from the water.

"We should land there, it might be the only resting spot we will be able to find until we get to Pyrrhia. I don't know how far that is" said Marble, pointing with a wingtip.

Scorch followed as she landed in the cave, and went inside. It was dry, and rather warm. There was a small bend in the back wall, which sheltered them from the wind. The stone walls weren't wet, but they looked almost shiny.

"I wonder what that is?" Asked Marble, pointing to the wall. Parts of it were some type of smooth white stone with black streaks in it, other parts had some kind of blueish gems buried in the wall.

"Well that one marble," he said pointing to the white stone.

Marble laughed. Look, it's me in stone form.

...How dull.

"And that one is sapphires, I think".

"Sapphires, do you think we can keep those?" She asked. They were shiny, she liked them. Scorch tilted his head. "Why?" he asked her stupidly. Marble blinked at him. They were dragons, it was a natural instinct to collect treasure. Did BloodWings not like treasure? "Maybe they'll come in handy sometime," she suggested. 

"We can try, but we would have to carry them with us forever" he said doubtfully. "Not if we make little bags to carry them around our necks," suggested Marble. "I've seen dragons do that before."

"Ya, I guess. But where would we get bags?" Scorch stared dubiously at Marble, who was looking out to sea.

"We could make them out of seaweed, I bet there's lots around here. It is the ocean" she said. Hopefully the water wasn't too deep.

"You can, I'm not going into the water though" Scorch complained.

Afraid of a little water? Interesting.

Marble nodded and walked to the edge of the cave. She wasn't a fan of water either, but in she dove, making sure to cause the biggest splash she could, hopefully spraying the BloodWing. She looked around and immediately spotted some kind of long stringy weeds. She couldn't see the bottom, but the long, slimy strands rose up from the murky depths, waving gently back and forth on unseen currents of water. She grabbed some of those and went up for air.

Water isn't that bad, she thought.

She dove under again, searching for a type of weed she could use to make bags.

A few fish swam by, not seeming to realize the danger. Then she realized how hungry she was, and instinctively tried to blast a flame underwater. It didn't work so well, so she just chased after them instead. She only managed to catch two in total, but they were large fish.

She went on looking for weeds, going up for air every once in awhile. She carried the fish in her back talons and used her tail and wings to propel her through the ice cold water.

Finally, she found a nice thick weed, with some kinds of bag like pouches already growing on it. She took two of those, then headed back. She stuck her head out of the water, but she didn't see the spike of rock where Scorch was. She started to panic, then turned around in a circle looking for it, only to find out it was right behind her.

She laughed, and swam up the the spike. She held her things she'd collected under her wings, and used her arms to pull herself out of the water. She crawled into the cave, and dropped her things on the ground. Scorch stared at the fish, and Marble tossed him one.

He blew a plume of flame at his to cook it. Marble preferred hers raw. They ate in silence for a minute.

When they were done, Scorch explained how he'd already managed to dig out a few gems, while Marble made the bags. They stretched them around their shoulders, and fell asleep.

------------

The next morning, the seaweed bags were dry. They chiseled out a few more gems, and divided them equally. They put their collections of gems inside the pouches, and left.

They flew for a short distance, before they reached the pale, sunny shores of Pyrrhia.

"I didn't think it was so close," Marble said. "Where do you think we are?" Scorch asked.

She looked around, all she could see was sand, sand, and more sand. A few cacti grew here and there.

I think I know where we are...

Then she realized.

"Careful, this is Sandwing territory. Keep a look out, we don't want to be seen," she  warned.

"Sandwings. Are they the ones with the poisonous barbs on the tails?"

"The very ones."

----------------------------