Chapter sixteen- Nobody's Home

The wind stopped. Marble opened her eyes, and was blinded by the sun. She squinted through the light. Dark shapes loomed in front of her. Mountains.

The ground beneath her was frozen. She was standing in ankle deep snow, back home.

Her eyes adjusted quickly.

"The Vren Dand?" Said Hrailen, holding out her talon. Artica handed the Vren Dand to her. They said goodbye, and Hrailen was gone with the wind.

"What now?" Asked Scorch.

"We go home, I guess" said Artica.

The three dragons lifted off, in search of the Timewings. They flew circles around the Island of Time, but nobody seemed to be out. They circled once more, and decided to take a closer look. They stopped in front of the large cave that was the councils hall.

Marble peeked her head in, but it was completely abandoned. 'Odd, where is everyone?' She wondered.
They flew towards the main gathering area, but there was nothing. Nothing but old dried blood and dead frozen bodies.

"They're all dead" said Artica. She landed on the ground, and started searching around all the bodies. She stopped at one of the bodies, and lay beside it. Her snout resting on its neck. A tear rolled out of her eye.

"Artica?" Said Marble cautiously. No response.

"We should go check the cliffs, maybe everyone's sleeping" suggested Marble.
Artica glared at her. 'Whats wrong with her? Why is she acting so strange?' Marble was confused. Artica had always been so nice to her and Scorch. But now her gaze fixed on Scorch. She stood up, and advanced on him, a look of rage crossed through her face.
She stopped right in front of him. He backed away, looking nervous and confused.

"No use" she spat.

"They killed them all. If anyone survived, they're gone by now" she said. It sounded like she was accusing Scorch for the deaths of their tribe.

Marble jumped in between them, growling at Artica.

"Scorch did nothing. If it weren't for him, I'd be dead several times over".

Artica backed off, a sudden look of hurt took over her initial look of rage.

"I'm sorry. I know. It's just..." Hesitated Artica.

"His kind murdered my mother" she said, pointing to the dead body she had been lying with.

"Oh" said Scorch, he looked guilty, even though he'd done nothing.

"Artica, you said any survivors would be gone? Where would they be? We have to find them. We can't live on our own our whole lives" said Marble, trying to change the subject.

"Ya, we should find them. But they could be anywhere" said Artica.

"Grinnen isn't as big as Pyyrhia, though" said Scorch.

"It isn't, but it's still pretty huge" said Marble.

"Where should we start?" Asked Scorch.

"Scorch, you don't have to come. You could go find your sister. You should go home. This is our tribe, you don't have to worry about us" said Marble.

"But I'm coming. There isn't anything you can do to stop me. Besides, I'd be worried about you the rest of my life, anyways. Were a team? Aren't we?".

"Yes, we are" agreed Marble.

"Hmm... Let's start that way" said Artica, pointing west.

"We should at least actually get IN Grinnen before we start this whole adventure" she said.
So the three dragons headed west over the ocean, to find the missing tribe.

---------------------------------

They hadn't been flying for long, when land was seen far in the distance. A white sand beach lined the shore. Waves rolled in and out, washing up sea shells.

Marble landed first, soft sand squished in between her claws. Her stomach growled, and she realized she hadn't eaten in a while.

"Gosh, I'm hungry! Who's up for a swim?" She said. Artica and Scorch didn't look very eager to get wet.

"Fine, I'll go get us some fish on my own!" She said. But just then, and grizzly bear sauntered down the shore. All three dragons looked at each other, and they rocketed towards it. Scorch got there first with his big wings, and torched the bear. It roared, and ran in circles for a second, then Scorch bent over and bit it's head off with a loud CRUNCH.

"Scorch! Grooooooss!" Exclaimed Marble. He grinned at her, an tore into the bear. Artica joined him, followed by Marble. They ate the whole bear, and Marble was happy to be full once again.

The dragons chased each other around the beach for a while, until the sun began to set.

"Hey, watch this!" Shouted Scorch. He suddenly shrunk three sizes, and his scales turned bright and colourful. He had turned Into a RainWing! Marble laughed as he turned into an Icewing, then a NightWing, then a Timewing!

"Wow, that one is cool!" Said Marble, pointing at his ash grey scales. Scorch as a Timewing looked so strange! He smiled at her, and changed back into his Bloodwing self.

It's getting dark out, let's go find a cave or something" said Artica. They patrolled the beach for any caves, and when they found none, continued to explore the dessert for someplace to stay. After searching nearly the whole dessert, they found nothing.

"Well, I guess we're sleeping under the stars tonight" said Artica. They curled up in a dune, Marble snuggled into Scorch. He wrapped himself around her, and sheltered her with a wing. Strong winds blew sand around them, and it was difficult to fall asleep, but eventually they were all sleeping soundly. They didn't even hear a scout of Sunwings come out in the dark, and tie them up, flying them soundlessly to the Sunwing Kingdom.

--------------------------