Chapter twenty two- Stone and Gold

An army took off in the night. Silver and gold wings soaring above the clouds, as to stay out of sight.
Marble, Scorch, and Artica were leading the Timewings, and the Sunwings to battle. They were near halfway to the Stone Kingdom.
They flew on in silence, for a while longer. Each dragon left alone to their own thoughts.
Marble wondered how they would be able to attack an entire tribe full of powerful dragons, and she wondered if the glowing Dragons would come. 'But how would we get them to come? To go all the way back would take much too long' she thought.
Then she remembered all the magic that the glowing dragons had. Maybe if she asked, they would come. But she couldn't imagine herself asking them, if she couldn't see them, or know that they were listening.

Soon, the eerie peaks of cold, stone mountains were visible as shadows, silhouetted against the star filled night sky. The moons shone brightly overhead, and Marble joined the dots between a few stars to make her favourite constellation. It was that of a TimeWing head, and it reminded her of her parents, when they had taught her about star maps.

The Stone Fortress came into view, fires burned along the walls to bring light to the guards who were patrolling along the paths carved into the castle. The army stayed especially quiet, and switched to flying in the clouds. As soon as they were almost overhead, the army, following the three dragon's lead, swooped down on the unsuspecting StoneWing guards. A swift and quiet death came to each stationed guard, not a scream to be heard in the still silence of the night.

Then, Marble lead the army of dragons through the same passage that they had gone before, to scout out the treasure. Luckily, there were no guard patrolling through the hallways. They weaved through he maze of dim corridors, until the familiar scent of treasure was caught in the noses of each dragon.

Somewhere along the way, queen Eventide had caught up, and was sneaking stealthily beside Scorch. She wore a golden helm, tiny blue jewels imbedded in it. Other than that, she wore a chain link chest piece, also gold. The she wore some kind of gold things around her claws, making them look deadly sharp. Catching Marble's eye, the queen smiled faintly, and Marble returned her own.

They reached the split room again, and chose the path that they had taken last time. It lead into the same dim corridor, and finally, to the room with the dead thing. Each dragon stepped around it, Marble heard a few discussed groans. Then the hall opened up into the same large room, fifteen massive, adult Stonewings stood guard in front of the hole with the scent of treasure. They glared menacingly at the group of Sunwings and Timewings reforming in the room. Marble looked around at her army, only thirty. What had happened to the rest? That would mean two dragons per Stonewing, would they manage?

As Artica stepped forwards, Marble guessed she would find out. "The treasure, we know you stole it. Return it, and we shall leave" she said. A roaring laugh echoed from the StoneWing guards, who all stared at her with amused and completely unworried expressions on their faces. "Give it back, do you think we would let you have it without a fight?" Scoffed one of the largest guards.

"We were hopeful"Marble said, almost sarcastically. The guards laughed, and just when they were distracted, Marble signalled the attack with a subtle flick of her long, pale grey tail.
Then, silver, grey, and gold leaped forwards, overwhelming the distracted guards. Almost immediately, one guard had already fallen. But the rest recovered quickly, blasting molten plasma in every direction.

Already, multiple Sunwings and Timewings were injured or dead. The sharp scent of singed scales invaded Marble's nostrils, causing her to falter in battle. The Stonewing she and Scorch were up against got in a lucky swipe, and tore open the edge of her wing. She roared, and blasted flames at him. The guard screamed, scales half melted. His whole chest area was melted and caved in. Marble was surprised she had done so much damage. He stumbled around in pain, before collapsing to the ground. But before he was dead, Marble and Scorch had already moved on the the next guard. Artica joined them, having just killed another guard, and Marble had a quick check around her.