Chapter twelve- The Rainforest Kingdom

When Marble woke, the sun was gone. She tried to move her head to look around, but the hit she had taken when she had fallen made her head feel like it was trying to crack open. She closed her eyes for a moment, and when the pain resided to just a dull throb, she opened them again. She was in some kind of house. It appeared to be made of branches, woven together. There was no door, just a mess of vines that provided some privacy.

She tried to move her legs to get up, but she couldn't. She was trapped in some kind of vine-sack. She tried to roll over, which hurt her head. But lying next to her, still asleep, was Scorch. Relief flooded through her. At least she had him.

The sun had gone, and through a small window, she could see the stars. There were so many, she tried to find constellations. She linked some stars to form a dragon head. Then it occurred to her that Artica wasn't here. Where was she? Last she'd seen of her, she disappeared before narrowly missing being hit with what ever it was that had hit her.

She heard shifting beside her.

"Scorch?" She whispered. No reply. She heard more shuffling. Someone was definitely there. Marble had a strange feeling that she knew who it was.

"Artica?" She tried. Something blurred In front of her. Artica materialized out of thin air.
Her silvery wings glowed in the pale light of the moon.

"Where are we?" Asked Marble.

"In the village of the RainWings. Don't worry, tying strange dragons up is standard procedure. They do it to anyone new, so that they can say hello before they run away" she replied.

"Standard procedure? Well, the RainWings certainly haven't made a very good impression on me so far. Can't you get me out of here?" She asked.

"I'm afraid I can't" she replied. Then turned invisible again.

"Wait! But-but-. Wait! I don't wanna-. Just wait!" Howled Marble. She saw the vines part, and guessed Artica had just left.

"Stop, Artica! Come back!" She shouted, wriggling like an inchworm towards the door. She heard a soft laughter behind her. She turned, and Scorch was trying not to smile.

"Come back, little worm. You wouldn't leave me here on my own, would you?" He joked.

"Of course not, you would never survive a minute with ought me, anyways!" She laughed, wriggling back towards him.

"Ugh, what time is it? Ugh, my neck hurts!" He tried to lift his head enough to see outside.

"Time that we should be sleeping" said Marble.

"Alright I'll see you in the morning" he said, and closed his eyes again.
Marble curled up into him, and closed her eyes, too. Scorch curled around her as best he could in the vine-sack. His scales were warm against hers, and she smiled.
The two dragons dozed off, together.

---------------------------

Marble opened her eyes and was bombarded by colours. A small, yellow dragon, swirled through with pink and orange, stood over her. She stared at this strange colourful dragon in amazement. She'd never seen a Rainwing up close.
The dragon's scales constantly shifted from yellow, to bright green, to gold and to purple. Marble wondered what all those colours meant. She had read that their scales shifted colours with their moods. Did this dragons mood really shift so quickly?

"Hi, I'm Papaya!" Exclaimed the Rainwing excitedly.

"I've never seen any dragons like you before! Oh, and now the other ones waking up!" He chattered on. Marble felt Scorch moving next to her.