Chapter 2: Sorting

As the children boarded the train, Jonathan sat the first years down in the the train cabin.

"Ok so since this is your first years we have to go over some ground rules." Jonathan said while putting his bags on top of the seats.

"We know we are suppose to be in our common rooms by 8 and in bed by 9" Annabel added while hitting Cedric's shoulder.

"Yeah that's the only thing i'm looking forward to, That's longer than my Mum lets me stay up!" Cedric said excitedly.

"My mother lets me go to my bed around 8:30" Annabel added with a smile towards Cedric

"That's not what I meant!" Jonathan called interrupting them. Jonathan calming himself down and took a deep breath in. "I meant to say, Once you are sorted into your house you should hang out with them more-"

"But" Cedric interrupted

"Wait till I'm finished!" Jonathan took another breath. "Just try your best to fit in, and also once we enter the doors of Hogwarts it's ok if you have some question but please don't bug me ok! Now Cedric you were gonna ask."

"Yeah you said hang out with your house, but our parents, they were from different houses were they not?" Cedric asked.

"You're right, My Mum was a Hufflepuff, My father a Ravenclaw, Aunt Trinity was a Slytherin and Mark was a Gryffindor." Annabell added to Cedric's point.

"Yes I know that but that's how i've survived my 4 years at hogwarts. Any way which house do you think you will be sorted in?" Jonathan asked the two newbies.

"Hmm I'm kind of hoping for Slytherin or Gryffindor to carry the tradition. What about you Annabell?"

"Hufflepuff of course, My mother was very kind and so am I!" Annabelle said confidently. Under Jonathan breath he noted

"She is very sure of herself... That's not a Hufflepuff trait" Jonathan said to himself. The two newbies continued to look out the window to see who could spot the school first. Half way through the train ride a familiar voice to Jonathan said

"Candy from the trolley?"

"Yes please" Annabell and Cedric said together. The two each got a box of chocolate frog. As the two open the box the frogs jumped out of the box. Annabell's favorite candy is Chocolate frogs but her father believes its not good for children to eat too much chocolate but Annabell would sneak and eat them without her parents knowing.

"Mhhh, haven't had these in a while!"

"Hey what card did you get? I got Lockhart. Man I always get him." Cedric asked but quickly was disappointed from getting that card again. Annabell staring down at her card. The image was a man. He had reddish brown hair with blue eyes. She has never seen him or hear of him but his last name was very familiar.

"Newton Scamander?" She announced puzzled. "Am I supposed to know who he is?" Annabel then touched her hair. It was very similar hair color she thought to herself. It must of been her father's side because her mother's family all had brown hair with brown eyes. Jonathan started to laugh.

"AH AH AH, Annabel Scamander doesn't know who Newton Scamander is.... That's a classic!" He looks at Annabel who look looks like she about to cry. "Oh you are for real you don't know him. Well it's ok you will learn about him history of magic class and in Magical creature care." Jonathan said trying to cheer her up. Cedric looked at Annabel who was looking down messing with her feet. He than gave her a hug.

"Maybe you could write to your parents once we get settled into our rooms"

"Yeah I bet" Annabel said

Once the children left the train and hopped off the boats they were finally at Hogwarts. They couldn't believe their parents stood right here. The castel was more magically than they thought. The candles were lit perfectly the silver dishware was polished and had a glistening shine. The two children went with the other first years waiting to be sorted. One by one the children would be called out then sorted, that house would cheer and they would join them

"Wood and Correll? You parents were wonderful wizards." The hat said. "But your mother gave me a tough time" The sorting hat said while Cedric blushed with a little giggle. "Brave like your father, very strong headed like him too... Unique and very emotionally connected like your mother but you. You are different." He paused. "Hufflepuff!" he shouted

Annabel was next

"Sweet and kind you are... But your mind... Your mind is open and" The Hat just paused before he said "Slytherin"

Annabel walked away a little confused. Trying to figure out why she was in Slytherin. Her parents her grandparents no one in was in Slytherin!  She was walking over to the cheer table but notice one person's head down at the Ravenclaw table. The whole Slytherin house was glad to see Annabel. She took a breath and sat down next to another first year that was sorted there. While others were being sorted she could not help but notice Jonathan. Why was he not excited that she was in Slytherin. Is she that much of a screw up already.  After the dinner Annabel confronted Jonathan.

"Is that what you meant on the train. You knew I wasn't going to be in Hufflepuff!"

"You were not supposed to hear that" Jonathan said trying to figure out how she heard him.

"Does not matter how I heard you. What matters is why you think I failed. I haven't been here a full day  and you act like I screwed everything up." Annabels eyes get a little teary but doesn't shed a single tear.

Dear Mum and Dad,
I'm very confused right now. I was told of wonderful things about being a Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw. It was expected of me to be in one of your houses. Cedric who was named after a Hufflepuff got into Hufflepuff. That makes sense. Jonathan, whose mother was in Ravenclaw and he got into Ravenclaw. I should've know I wasn't a Ravenclaw. I was on the train and ate some.... candy and saw a card of a guy named Newton Scamander. HE HAS MY LAST NAME AND YET I DON'T KNOW HIM! Please take me out of Hogwarts immediately. I wouldn't mind being homeschool or send me to Beauxbatons Academy of Magic.
                                                                                                                                                     With love your daughter Annabel