As Long As You Love Me: Chapter 1

Chapter One: Chance of a Lifetime

Bird's POV

The nightly temperatures in March weren't doing me any good. I was freezing. I stole a glance at my watch, seeing that it was 7:48. I had a feeling I was going to be late, but that had started becoming normal, since I didn't get off of my work shift at Starbucks until 7:30. It should've been enough time, but apparently it wasn't. I took my shoulder bag and hung it on my wrist so I could adjust my hoodie. Then again, that probably wasn't it. I was wearing a sparky black tank top underneath my hoodie with ripped skinny jeans and green heels. Not the best outfit for a windy night. It wasn't my choice of outfit. I'd rather be in jeans and a t-shirt, plus a baseball cap.

Putting my shoulder bag back on my shoulder, I stole another took at my watch. 7:52. Looking up, I could finally see it, the Maverick Center. But I had to cross another intersection before I could arrive there. With bad luck, I couldn't cross when I got to the intersection . Well, I'm going to be late. I was supposed to be there at eight sharp, but is was 8:02. I have concerts at the Maverick Center every Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I sing, play piano and violin. I'm not a signed artist yet, but I hope to be one someday.

Noticing that I could finally cross, I did. I tried running, but after a few footsteps, I decided to walk and be late than to be on time with a broken ankle. Finally arriving in front of the center, I heard screaming, and a lot of it. Looking closer, I notice a big groups of girls huddled near the front of the building. They were shouting and screaming something like 'won connection.' I couldn't go in through that way.  Side door! I walked back around the Center. I fumbled with the lock for a little while, until I got it open. I stepped inside, locked it & took off my heels so I could run. Doing so, I arrived backstage, where the stage crew was still setting up. Someone rolled the big glossy piano out. I wondered what I would be playing. I didn't choose any of the songs I performed the night except for the opening and closing songs. My best friend Gabby, chooses the songs, prints out the sheet music and leave it at the Center for me to perform. Those songs are chosen by my audience through Facebook.

Slipping my hoodie off, I asked no one in particular how much time I had. Hearing someone say five, I ran to the bathroom for a last minute hair check. Everything was fine. Walking back, I decided on my opening song, Halo by Beyoncé, on the piano. I had memorized and performed this one plenty of times. Plus, she was one of my idols. I peeked out from behind the curtains, to see about 100 or so people. That was probably going to be the most people I've performed for. Someone handed me my headset microphone, covered in feathers like a headband. I slipped it on, just in time to hear, "In 5, 4, 3, 2, go!"

The curtains lifted and I walked out, smiling and waving. I walked over to the piano, sitting and starting to play and sing Halo, giving it all I had. I finished and hearing an applaud; I decided to go ahead and start with the requests from the audience.

"Hey guys! How are you?" I got a mix of cheers, 'good', and other noises I couldn't understand. "Well, I'm going to start on the request my friend Gabby picked out for me." I grabbed the first stapled packet. An orange stick note read out 'Cooler Than Me by Mike Posner. Piano'. I read it aloud, and then sat to play it. It was pretty simple, considering I barely knew this song all together. The next song was Freefalling by John Mayer/Tom Petty. I did that one on the piano, since I didn't know guitar.

"What Makes You Beautiful by One Direction, violin." Maybe that's what the girls putside were saying. I pulled out the music for it, and decided to use the music stand instead. I set it up, looking over it. It looked simple, but you can never be sure. With this song, there was a different feeling from the audience. I wasn't sure what it was, but something was off. Someone from stage crew handed me my electric violin, already set up with the amp.