Chapter Two

Two

Irisi sat on El-zarka, her grey and white pony. Her mother rode beside her on a bay mare. Before them lay their home on the edge of the Nile in the midst of the Egyptian desert, behind them, the vast expanse of empty sand that lay between their current home and the place that would remain her home in her heart.

“Mother, why did we have to move?” she asked.

Her mother looked down at her from her seat upon her horse. “Because I said so, Irisi, that is why.” She replied sternly.

Irisi sighed inwardly but followed her mother through the gate set in the high walls that were built to protect the inhabitants from the elements.

~*~*~*~

The bright desert sun shone through the window, bathing a sleeping Irisi in warm light. Her grey eyes fluttered open, as she sat up, the soft cotton sheet falling from her shoulders. She blinked from the bright light and swung her legs off the bed, letting out a yawn as she prepared for yet another day of dreary lessons and irritating people.

“Irisi!”

The twelve year old sighed, her grey eyes focused on the door of her bedroom. She brushed out her hair and left her room, walking down for breakfast. She eyed her mother warily as she took her seat.

“You will remain in the house today, Irisi, no more leaving when you are supposed to be in your lessons.” Her mother instructed.

She had to bite the inside of her cheek before answering, “Yes, mother.” Was her reply, her gaze locked on the table before her.

It wasn’t bad enough that she was stuck in this prison with her mother, but she was now denied her one freedom? Her eyes narrowed as she curled her hands into fists. No way was she letting her mother rule her life this way.

~*~*~*~*~

Irisi was in the stables, petting her old pony, El-zarka, the grey and white equine was getting old, and she had been gifted a fine strawberry-roan mare. She was taking this time to farewell her old friend before she left to return to Thebes.

Her mother had deemed it time for her to make her official appearance at Court. The woman had decided they were going to leave in three days. Irisi had other plans. She was leaving; Now. “Farewell for now, my friend.” She told the pony as she pulled on her cloak and masked her face with the strip of cloth. Her mare was waiting outside her stall saddled and prepared to go. Irisi took her outside before mounting up, charging through the gates at a gallop.

She was sixteen, and she was returning home for the first time in eight years.