Twelve

That evening, as they ate dinner, Irisi explained the situation to the pharaoh, who listened as she outlined her idea.
"I like it." He said. "It's a winning situation for both parties." He continued.
"Wonderful." She stated, folding her hands in her lap.
"I look forward to meeting your young friend tomorrow, Irisi." He told her.
The rest of the meal passed in relative silence. Irisi was lounging back in the pile of pillows with Atem after they had finished eating when the nobleman from Alexandria approached them with his daughter, who eyed Irisi smugly. The woman straightened from her comfortable position, Atem following suit.
Irisi glanced at those of the court who were closest to them; all of those who had been out in the city that day were nearby, a good sign. There would surely be trouble by the look on the girl's face. Atem had an arm around Irisi's shoulders, effectively keeping her in place. He seemed to realize the same thing as her. He also knew her well; she would jump to her own defence as quickly as she had jumped to the defence of the city folk that day.
"You have a problem?" the pharaoh asked the nobleman.
The man bowed, "My daughter came to me today distressed after the ride into the city. She said she had been insulted by one of your members of the court." He said.
"Atemu, Irisi, you were there today, did this indeed occur?" he asked.
"There was a disagreement, Father, it was dealt with swiftly. If there was insult it was not made clear to me."
"Nor to me, Majesty," Irisi said sweetly.
"What then did your daughter take insult to?" the pharaoh asked.
"Being made to walk like a commoner, she says, and insinuations, she tells me, that were made by the Lady Irisi."
"Really? She took insult to being unhorsed?" the pharaoh asked. "And why did she have to walk?"
"We all dismounted, the city centre gets congested around that time of day, but we were told to show her the city, and so we did." Irisi stated, clearly affronted, "And I am pretty sure I made my opinion on this topic quite clear earlier." She near about growled.
"This is true; my people would not ask your daughter to dismount without good reason. The heart of the city is where the market place is, with all the stalls and people shopping, it gets very busy." The pharaoh said, "What sort of insinuation does your daughter accuse Irisi of making?"
"That she would be poor and hungry without the hard work of the common born," he stated.
Irisi had gone cold, a very unfamiliar feeling as icy hatred and fury swamped her mind. She could feel her hands curling into fists and heard someone speaking to her.
"Irisi! Irisi!" Atem was shaking her shoulders, "Love you must answer Father." He told her.
She shook her head to clear it and brought her steely grey eyes up to meet the pharaoh's gaze. "I made no such insinuations. I merely stated that she should not scorn the common born as it is because of them that we have many of the things we do." She said. "If the girl took offence to it that is not my problem; she needs a lesson in propriety herself." She stated coolly. "The rest of the group will be more than willing to back up my words; we had a few chaperones with us, as well as six other young men and women of the court."
"I am sure that will not be necessary. These are grave accusations you make against Lady Irisi. I hope you realize that I am fully prepared to call on the witnesses if you do not recant your statements."
"I would suggest taking your accusations back." Atem said. He was holding tight to Irisi to keep her from getting up and possibly attacking Khamudi.
Irisi turned to glare at Khamudi, who shrank away from her. Her father bowed again, "Very well, I rescind my accusations." He said.