Chapter Nine

Nine

Irisi lay on her cot, wiped out after nearly three days with no sleep. Her silky black hair covered the side of her face. Her grey eyes were closed as she slept. She had not seen the high priestess when she had returned, being too tired to do much more than sleep.

The pharaoh was outraged. “That woman!” he bellowed loudly to his councillors. “How dare she meddle with my plans!” he thundered. “I want her brought before me. She will learn what it costs to pry in my business.”

“It will be done, sire.” One said.

It looked like an army had marched upon the country home of Irisi’s mother. The pharaoh’s own guards surrounded the estate, taking the woman into custody. They brought her back, dragging her before the enraged pharaoh.

“My liege, what have I done to deserve this?” she asked.

“Silence!” he snapped. He was glad Atemu was not present for this. He had fallen into moodiness again with the disappearance of Irisi. “You have meddled in things that ought not to have been meddled in. I had plans, woman, plans concerning the welfare of my son, and you disrupted them with not a care for the consequences of these actions. You are under arrest until I think of an appropriate punishment. Guards!” he rumbled. “Take her away. Lock her in the cells.”

The high priestess walked in as the woman was being dragged out, “Sire, I have brought someone to see you.” She said.

Irisi had followed the older woman, wrapped in a cloak, the hood pulled over her head, hiding her from view. Her black hair was pulled back in a thick heavy braid. Grey eyes peered out of the hood, shadowed and weary looking.

“My dear Irisi!” he said, surprised. “You look exhausted.” He commented.

“Sire,” She said, bowing slightly. It was difficult for her to do so, being wrapped so thoroughly in the cloak. “Sleep is proving difficult these days, I am afraid to admit.” She said, pulling the hood down.

“I am sorry to hear that, Irisi.” He said.

The high priestess left them, promising to return in several hours. “I have news concerning your mother, Irisi,” the pharaoh told her.

“Oh?” she asked.

“She has been locked up to await sentencing.” He told her.

“Indeed?” she asked, as he led her through the palace to the gardens. “And what am I to do? I have been refused freedom by the priestesses. They say I have a greater destiny than what was previously planned.” She frowned, “Problem is, I don’t want a greater destiny. I don’t want my life planned out for me. I make my own decisions.” She scowled.

“What does the high priestess say?” he asked.

She hung her head, “High Priestess Calla has been nothing but understanding. But she does not think that I have any chance for freedom.” She sighed; “I am not one to lie down and allow this to happen!” she was close to losing her carefully controlled temper. She had worked hard to keep it under control for the last day.

He had never seen her so close to fury; she was always so calm, so easy going. He knew she had a temper, only a fool would think otherwise. He had stopped, looking at her in confusion. She had halted, closing her eyes and calming herself. “I am sorry.” She said shaking her head, “I am not normally so free with my anger.” She said.

“Do not fret, Irisi.” He said. “There.” He told her softly, pointing her in the right direction.

“Thank you.” She told him with a small smile.