Thirteen

Irisi stood outside the palace gates as she spoke with a guard. She looked up as Khepri walked up. The girl bowed, "Lady Irisi, I know you said for me to come today, but I could not get away from them." She said glancing over at the two older girls who followed at a distance.

Irisi straightened and eyed the two older girls. She glanced back at Khepri and turned to the guards, "Captain, Khepri and I have a meeting with the pharaoh, if you'd take care of the unwelcome guests, I'd be most grateful." She said.

"Right away, my lady." He said.

"Come, dear." She told Khepri.

She followed Irisi into the throne room where the pharaoh and Atem were talking in low voices. "Irisi my darling, there you are. And there is Miss Khepri." Atem said. "Come my dear." He told Irisi.

She smiled her grey eyes content as she joined him, letting him take her hand. He met her gaze with his own, smiling gently. She returned his smile with her own, her radiant smile bright and cheerful. He wrapped an arm about her bare shoulders. Today she was wearing a white dress with gold trim. Her long black hair was down, framing her face, billowing around her shoulders in sleek silken waves.

"So this is the young dancer you were telling me about, Irisi?" The pharaoh asked.

"Yes, sire, this is Khepri." She replied.

Khepri bowed, "I am honoured to be here, Majesty." She said.

"Come let us sit and eat." The pharaoh said.

Atem pulled Irisi towards the pile of pillows just for them. He pulled her down beside him, getting comfortable. Servants came forward with plates of fruit. Khepri was invited to sit beside the pharaoh, who smiled down at the young girl. "Welcome to the palace, young Khepri." He said as she was offered fruit.

Atem was making Irisi laugh in their personal paradise. She was tucked in Atem's lap, looking up into his violet eyes. He looked down at her, his mouth twisted in a smile. His hand was entwined with hers, their free hands holding fruit.

The pharaoh grinned at them before leaning towards Khepri, "They make quite the couple don't they, my child?" He asked.

She giggled and nodded; she glanced over at them, and grinned back at the pharaoh.

"My hopes are high." He said with a wink.

"Will you show the Pharaoh how you dance, Khepri?" Irisi asked, her grey eyes glittering with amusement.

"Oh um, certainly if that is your wish sire?"

"Please, Miss Khepri." He said.

"Okay." She agreed and stood.

The pharaoh sat back as he summoned musicians. Khepri took up a position in front of everyone as the court joined them for lunch.

--------------
A/N:

Sorry for the long wait between chapters. I've currently been revamping the whole story whilst in the middle of a move across country. So thanks to all who have left comments, I'm glad you're liking it so far, and I apologize in advance for any further delay.