Chapter Three

Three

She entered Thebes at a stately walk, her mare snorting as they passed the city marketplace. Irisi had grown into a beautiful young woman, with black hair that billowed down her back; her grey eyes were wide and bright. Her dark tanned skin was coppery bronze, a rich hue that accented her heritage greatly.

She had spent the last several years learning the ways of a woman at court. This all bored her to tears, but she put up with it, the thought of being able to see her dearest friend once again the only thing that got her through. She wore a long robe over her travelling clothes, a white cotton dress. The cowl was pulled over her head and the strip of cloth covered her face, protecting it against the sand and wind. She reigned in her horse as the palace came into view. She shifted in her saddle straightening proudly. “We’re back.” She sighed softly, her voice muffled by the cloth.

She led the way into the city, welcoming the hustle and bustle. The citizens moved to allow the horses pass, they bowed or curtseyed to the lady and she nodded and waved, her grey eyes crinkling in a smile.

“Welcome home, Lady Irisi!” many shouted. She was well known in the city.

“Thank you. It is wonderful to be back.” She said.

When she got to the palace, she was pleased to see that few knew of her arrival. “Lady Irisi.” Sagati said.

“Sagati!” she said, leaping from the saddle.

“My dear, when I received your letter, I was overjoyed.” She said. “No one knows you are here yet. I have everything planned for your return. I have managed to cook up a feast, though no one knows it will happen until you walk into the throne room for your return.” She said.

Irisi smiled, “I am glad to see a friendly face once more.” She said.

“Come my dear, I have everything planned. I will drop you off outside the throne room. As you know there is a room there where you can change from your travel worn clothing into something more suitable for the court. I assume you brought such clothing?” she said.

“But of course, I may enjoy simple clothing, but I do own some court clothes.” She assured her.

“Excellent, keep that cowl and cloth on, if we are stopped I will say you are interested in a job in my kitchen, no one will think to deny you access.” She said. “When you are changed, I have a young man inside the court; he will announce your arrival. If all goes as planned, no one will see this coming; they will be overjoyed at your return.” She grinned.

“Splendid, I do so love surprises.” She said.

She was led through the palace, to the big doors of the throne room; here she was situated in a room, where she changed from her dusty travelling clothes into something suitable to present herself at court. She wished her mother could see her. The woman would be surprised at the sudden change in her teenage daughter. At home in plain clothes, she rarely dressed in ostentatious clothing. She felt strange for a moment, and then settled in, as if she were in a second skin. She emerged from the room, straight backed and proud. Her grey eyes glittered with amusement and pride. Sagati smiled, “My lady, they await you. This is the young man who will announce you.” She told her, “I must go now, Isis be with you Irisi.” She told her.

Irisi smiled, “Until next time, Sagati, friend.” She said.

The young man opened the doors and bowed low, “May I announce the return of Lady Irisi, daughter of Amenhotep.” He said.

He moved out of the way, revealing Irisi, framed in the doorway. Her grey eyes sparkled with delight. She was home! Two pairs of violet eyes stared at her in amazement. The pharaoh was the first to come around. He stood, “Irisi, is it really you, child?” he asked.

“In the flesh,” she said with a brilliant smile that lit up her face. She walked into the room, aware that all eyes were on her. “Pardon me for not sending word ahead of my arrival, but I wished to surprise you all.” She said sweetly.

“It’s no trouble at all, my dear. Welcome back.” The pharaoh said.

She made her bow before her overlord, her long black hair sweeping over her shoulders as she straightened. She noticed Atemu still hadn’t moved. He stared at her, as if seeing her for the first time. Everyone was looking at him now, wondering why he did not greet his oldest friend.

“Atemu?” His father asked, frowning.

The prince shook his head, “Sorry.” He muttered, “It is good to see you again, friend.” He told Irisi with a smile.

She grinned, and once again she was his oldest and dearest friend. “It is wonderful to be back.” She said as the pharaoh drew her close. He had her sit beside Atemu, on a pile of cushions normally reserved for the pharaoh’s wife. This was a great honour, and Irisi was almost fearful to accept it but she knew that to refuse was to insult her king. She smiled thankfully.

“You must be weary after your long ride,” he said as she settled herself. Atemu settled in his seat, watching his father.

“A little, but it was well worth the days in the saddle.” She agreed with a smile. Her grey eyes were serene as she accepted a fruit drink.

“And how is your mother?” he asked.

“She is as well as can be expected, she seems to have drawn strength over the last years during my tutelage. She has changed very little since she was last here. She requested that I inform you that she will be arriving later in the week.” She said.

“Noted,” He said. He was still smiling; having Irisi back in Cairo would do wonders for his teenage son, who in the last couple years had become moody and temperamental. Every prospective bride he had put in front of Atemu had left in a huff, let down by the prince, who seemed to have eyes for none. But the pharaoh had noticed his son’s reaction to the arrival of the grown Irisi. There may be something there, he thought wisely. I will watch them over the next few days. Certainly, it would be a good match.

“I know you are weary, Irisi, but would you be up for a feast in honour of your return?” he asked.

“Up for it, sire?” She asked simply, “But of course!” she smiled, “I think Sagati would be insulted if I let all her good food and hard work go to waste.” She grinned slyly, a look that Atemu knew well.

The prince chuckled, “You’ve been plotting, have you?” he asked, his deep baritone voice rippling with amusement.

“Plotting? Never; I simply sent a letter to dear Sagati, informing her of my plan for a splendid surprise. The darling woman took care of the rest.” She replied.

“Then it is settled!” the pharaoh said.