Ten

Weeks passed, and Calla did not come to fetch her from the palace. Irisi and Atemu spent every moment that they could together. Mostly in the gardens or with others their own age; when Atemu was busy with his responsibilities, Irisi would spend the time with the ladies of the court. What had been a strong friendship was solidifying into a much stronger more emotional bond.

Irisi sat on the edge of the pond, watching the lilies float over the surface. She heard footsteps behind her, and she turned to look at who was joining her. She smiled brightly when Atemu rounded the bend, stepping into view.

"I thought I'd find you here." He said. "The older ladies said you finally snapped on the brainless wonders." He said, sitting down beside her.

Her smile vanished, replaced by a scowl. Atemu knew instantly that the blow up had been much worse than what the ladies had made it sound. They truly liked Irisi, which was no surprise. "Those airheads are getting on my nerves. They ask the same questions every day, and every day I give them the same response, none, in the hopes that they will tire and finally shut up. They went altogether too far today and I put them in their place." She explained.

He had to fight not to smile; he knew full well the kinds of questions the young ladies of the court asked her. She had ranted about them previously. He too was questioned often by the men of the court, though not as extensively as she. None wished to insult the Prince.

"My dear, you should not let them get to you. They know nothing of us." He told her firmly.

She smiled at his wording and nodded, "I know, we've made sure that it stays private." She agreed serenely.

"Father has made some leeway with the temple; he says he may have found the solution." He told her.

"That is wonderful!" She said with a laugh of relief.

"I hate waking up every day thinking that you might be gone by nightfall. If he succeeds then we can both rest easier." He said.

"That will be well indeed." She agreed.

"I have heard tell that guests will be arriving in the next couple of days." She said, telling him of the rumours circulating amongst the Ladies.

"Ah yes, a delegation from Alexandria," He informed her. "There will be a grand feast and much entertainment." He told her.

She smiled brightly, "Sounds like a wonderful occasion." She said.

He stood, pulling her up with him. She let him lead her along the path, to a little patch of grass amidst some trees, offering them shade. He sat down, pulling her against him. She rested there, laying part ways on top of him. He had an arm around her, and her head rested against his shoulder, the smell of her hair mingling with the scent of the garden. She could feel the muscles of his chest at her back and closed her eyes, revelling in the closeness.

"This is nice." She heard his deep baritone. She smiled and nodded.

"It's so peaceful. More than I've noticed before." She murmured.

"This is our place now." He told her gently. "No one can take it from us." He said with determination.

She tilted her head to look up at him and smiled a small, happy smile, "Good." She said.

He met her gaze with his violet eyes. "I know my father can set you free." He murmured, pressing his lips to her forehead in a gentle kiss.

It was the first such contact they had of the sort, until that moment they had settled for holding hands or sitting close to one another. He wrapped his other arm around her, holding her close to him. She was content to sit in his embrace, listening to him speak as he told her of things that he had seen on his trips into the city.