Chapter 12: Sail Away

Those were the days

------------------

I looked across the ocean as I popped a fry into my mouth. Feeling a cold breeze, I hugged Justin's shirt closer to my body, wrapping my arms around myself as well. We had stopped by the coastal to eat the food we bought. The boys were sitting on the car hood eating their hamburgers - taking huge bites, as if it was the last hamburger they were ever going to eat.

Hannah was sitting next to me, looking across the sea as well. Silence filled the air. We were both occupied by our own thoughts.

I reached for the bag of fries and stuffed another one in my mouth, eating it slowly so I could savor the taste. Hannah was slurping on what was left of her plastic cup of coke. "I can't believe we've been with these guys for over three months," she suddenly said.

"I know," I mumbled. I was about to reach out and grab one more fry, when I realized I could just take the whole bag and put it on my lap. Not being able to take one fry at the time, I stuffed five fries in my mouth at the same time.

"It's weird how things have changed in these months, don't you think?" Hannah leaned her back against the rock behind her and looked at me. I thought about her question for a moment. She was right; many things had changed during these months.

It all started with me tied to a bed, being served only dry bread and water. After a few weeks, they started to give me orange juice and I got to share a room with Hannah. Then, they even let us go downstairs and eat some real food.

And now, the door was always unlocked and it was almost as if we lived in the house ourselves. If I was thirsty, I would just go to the fridge and get something to drink - without asking any of the boys for permission. I do not think I have ever heard of that kind of kidnapping before.

Our kidnappers were... nice.

There are some of the boys that I like better than the other. I have barely ever spoken to Xavier and Zach, and to be honest - Xavier rather scares me. I do not know why, there is just something about him that frightens me a little.

Alec and Ryan are like the adults. I have to admit though, all of the boys are somewhat childish, but Alec and Ryan are the ones who will take control in the serious situations. Jaden is the youngest, but I know that one day he will grow up to be one of the responsible ones as well.

Then there is Justin. I guess he is kind of in between. At one point, he can be a huge childish asshole - and the next, he can be a nice, more responsible guy.

So bipolar.

"Taylor," Hannah nudged my side and immediately snapped me out of my thoughts. "Hmrf-What?" I asked her, wondering in the back of my mind where the hell that weird noise came from. Hannah laughed a little, "I said it's weird how things have changed during these three months and you just blacked out".

"Oh," I laughed nervously, "sorry... and yeah, I agree, things really have changed - but for the better, right?"

Hannah nodded and took the lid off her cup, lifting the cup to her mouth. "These stupid ice cubes are stuck at the bottom," she whined and tried to lift the cup even higher. I gave her an amused look as she tried her hardest to get the ice cubes into her mouth.

"Ugh," she groaned and then started hitting the bottom of the cup repeatedly. Suddenly, you heard all of the ice cubes loosening from the bottom and fall straight onto her face. She shrieked and took the cup away from her face, catching one of the ice cubes in her mouth.

I laughed as she wiped her wet face. "Yeah, it has changed for the better," she answered as she made a crunchy noise with the ice cube she was currently chewing on.