38. Uncover

May 13th 2015, London

"Welcome back" Patrick opened the door of his office and I immediately hugged him since I hadn't seen him in weeks. The night before I had flown from Los Angeles because I had work to do in London and Harry and I thought that focusing on our albums would be easier if we weren't in the same city and we had no distractions. We weren't too worried about it because we knew that I'd be back in the States the following week to attend the Billboard Awards.

"I can check on you finally" he winked, "Kath really stressed me out after you disappeared"

"I'm sorry guys" I sighed, "I didn't mean to make you worry"

"Where did you go anyways?" he wiggled his eyebrows, "you're tanned!"

"Away" I unconsciously smiled, "what are our plans for the day?" I changed topic

"You've got an album to produce" he patted on my shoulder, "and your goal is to stay out of trouble and to, possibly, avoid any more rumors "

"I'll do my best" I giggled

"Your song with Ed is absolutely perfect" he proudly smiled, "I've been listening to it for the last couple of weeks and it might be my favorite song at the moment"

"If you leak it, I'll kill you" I joked and he burst out laughing

"C'mon, let's go to the studio" he said in between laughs. We stepped out of the building and were weirdly harassed by paparazzi. They obviously started yelling things about my private life, especially about One Direction, but I obviously didn't answer. I hated these moments because I even felt rude for not replying to them, but I knew that if I said anything, they'd turn it into something else.

We soon arrived at the studio and I immediately started working. I was surprised when I realized how much I had missed writing lyrics even if it had been only a few weeks. Obviously, my relationship with Harry had been inspiring me a lot when it came to music, and that day the song seemed to be writing itself.

"Nobody sees, nobody knows... we are a secret, can't be exposed... that's how it is, that's how it goes... far from the others, close to each other... that's when we uncover"

"In the daylight, in the daylight, when the sun is shining... On a late night, on a late night, when the moon is blinding... In plain sight, plain sight, like stars in hiding... You and I burn on"

"My asylum is in your arms... when the world gives heavy burdens, I can bare a thousand tons... on your shoulder, on your shoulder, I can reach an endless sky... feels like paradise"

"We could build a universe right here, all the world could disappear, we wouldn't notice, wouldn't care... we could build a universe right here, the world could disappear, yeah, I just need you near"

In about an hour and a half, I had written all the lyrics and worked on the instrumental so, since I was alone in the studio, I called the engineer and we spent the rest of the afternoon recording it.

As we were taking a break, I heard my phone ringing. I looked at the screen and felt shocked when I realized that Nick, my ex-boyfriend, was actually calling me. I felt unsure but decided to reply because I was kind of curious.

"Nick?" I didn't hide my confusion

"Jade, hi!" he exclaimed, "I didn't think you'd answer" he giggled, "so... are you in London?"

"Uhm," I struggled, "actually I am, yeah...why?"

"I don't want this to be awkward but..." he paused, "I have two tickets for Paul McCartney's gig at the O2 Arena and the person that I had planned to go with has just ditched me... and you were the first person to come to my mind because I know how much you love his music... so I thought why not?" he said all that in one breath and I didn't answer because I felt speechless, "Jade?" he said, bringing me back to reality