The Mute Mistress: Chapter 12

*This chapter contains sensitive content*

Chapter 12

"They're back," Belle announced flatly after checking her phone.

Mary also received an alert from the sensor application. They ate an early lunch on the outdoor living table, but a cloud of concern loomed over them while trying to enjoy the Cobb salads with the summer's gentle breeze.

It was after 11:30 AM. Mary couldn't let it show, but she was envious of Karina. She hated it was her first thought. Especially not after her last heartbreak. But Nathan had grown on her, and she felt the threat of their blossoming friendship falling apart. She could still feel the clutch of his arms around her, needing her and making her heart beat against his warmth. Imagining him with Karina shouldn't have been painful, but it was. This was bad, and she insisted on taking over lunch to hide in the kitchen for as long as possible.

Belle left to see them, and Mary only had twenty minutes of peace when she regarded Karina's particular pace echoing toward the kitchen.

"Hi," Karina announced hoarsely before walking outside to sit at the outdoor lounge.

Mary shut off the sink water, dried her hands, and followed her outside. How was the gala?

"A blur," Karina answered dryly.

Did you wear the green dress? Mary forced a smile. She wanted to know.

"Here." She showed pictures of the gorgeous jade dress. Karina swiped and saw a picture of her and Nathan together. The professional photos of them were amazing. They looked perfect walking in together on a blue carpet, sitting at the table, and kissing. The last image Mary swallowed hard.

"That's when things got blurry for me," Karina admitted with a grin. Mary stiffened, finally seeing her eyes. They were big and dark as the last time.

The beauty swiped back to her social media. "I'm trying to figure out which pictures to post. But I think I have to get my guy to Photoshop Nathan's fucked up face to look sober."

Mary knew what she meant. She saw it as the images progressed. His eyes were red, and he wore a drunken smile paired with the same distant eyes he left with.

"He drank a lot?"

"Of course. That's how he always is, but I can't stop it. As long as he shows up and we get our pics together, he can do whatever he wants."

Where did you go after? She regretted the question as much as she desired the answer.

"My apartment," Karina wore confusion briefly. "We go out, we go to the afterparty, and end up at my place. Don't worry. That's how it always is. Another sexless night."

She paid the price of asking and straightened her posture. "Would you like anything to eat?"

"It's still the event season, so I'm juicing for half of it. If you could blend celery and pour it in a cup, I'd love to keep wearing off the runway pieces."

"That's all?" Mary mouthed.

"It's like Abraham can tell when I've gnawed on a slice of turkey bacon and he's not even my manager. My cheat day is tomorrow, so juice it is."

Mary did not envy that aspect of her life. After downing the juice, with the help's help, Karina held a short photoshoot by the pool and out in the field. She needed the natural light for her pictures. It was no doubt she was photogenic. Mary preferred the pictures where the socialite smiled even if fake. There was a specific distance Mary had to keep or else she'd capture her "blasted" eyes. The freeze she felt before confirmed her suspicions.

"Thanks, these are fantastic."

Mary protected her screen from the afternoon glare and typed. Are you staying for lunch?

"I'm staying the weekend." Karina answered before squinting into the front facing camera. "I'll do you and Belle a favor and send my dietary restrictions this month. "

It was Thursday morning, and the dread already bled through her. Away from Nathan, Karina was palatable, but with him there was no telling what level of tremors would shake the household.

Belle's lips sank upon hearing of the extended stay. Holding her head to her forehead for a few breaths, she said, "I have to get away from here for a moment. I was going to have the tailor send my dresses to the house, but I think I will go get them myself."

Belle held a new light in her eye. There was no stopping her from getting into the SUV.

Left alone, Mary gave into her curiosity and entered the master suite. The lights were out, but she turned on the dimmer and set it halfway. Over the bedsheets, Nathan stretched himself facedown over the king-size bed. She felt silly, expecting to see him in his tux. No. This time, he was only in his boxers.

He raised his head. "Belle, is that you?"

She paused for a moment. He dropped back to the bed for a few blinks before the lack of response pulled him up. He turned his head, finally seeing her. Looking into his reddened eyes hurt, but it sickened her more. Mary didn't respond to their eyes meeting. She scanned the clothes scattered across the ground. Karina was messy, and Mary didn't warm up to what she assumed she'd expect for her stay. Nathan sat up and called her.

Mary forced air from her nose and opened the door to the massive walk-in closet. She returned to Karina's luggage and was about to drag Karina's bags into the closet when Nathan put a hand on her shoulder. Mary jerked her shoulder back and turned her head toward him. She didn't look him in the eye to share her fury. She breathed steadily to school herself away from panicking.

He begged more softly. "Are you mad at me?"

With a cursory glance, she lied. I'm not feeling well.

The low voice she knew was scratchy and an unfortunate flag reminding her of the last hours of worry. "I feel like that's a lie."

It wasn't, but he was the one to talk. She proceeded clearing the floor to fight the onset nausea.

Nathan raised his voice with a sense of nagging. "Mary."

She threw him a sharpened glare.

The bags under his eyes were deep and matched his disheveled hair. "You're mad at me, and I want to know why?"

It was a good question; she realized. But she could not give an answer and kept cleaning. From her peripheral, blocked the doorway. With averted eyes, she made to get past him for the bathroom, but his hand hovered before her. Her stomach ceased, so close to the power she knew could undo her instantly. Did he understand what he could do? She imagined he did and meant to further his cruelty.

By accident, she caught sight of his ridged, bare chest. She retreated to entertaining his palm, forcing her mouth into a crease to regain control of her breath. She had to focus on one spot while held captive in a closet with the faint scent of his cologne.

Mary cursed the inevitable and heard her name on his lips again. No, she closed her eyes. She couldn't give him what he wanted.

"Tell me," he demanded.

Did he not remember texting her at all? Did he forget telling her he wished she were there? Nathan was cruel. For him to plant those thoughts in her mind while he was with Karina ripped at her. This was all they could be, unless she put the confusion to a stop. She was merely a convenience, and he was nice to her. There was no need to look further into it than that. She would wean herself of flirtatious fantasies and appreciate what was from the platonic lense it was. With his dangerous crutch hooking into her painful past, it shouldn't have been hard to leave a man she never had. It was time she sought help if she couldn't look directly into him and keep her boundaries when it was effortless to deny others. That struggle alone incensed her.

She typed furiously. I told you I don't feel well. Stop asking. Your lunch will be ready in 20.