Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A chill goes down my spine and I spin around quickly. I don't see Elizabeth Mary anywhere. I stand up and check every corner of my room, but I don't see her.

I go back to my laptop and roll my eyes at Sabrina, "Now I think you are hallucinating."

Her eyes are as wide as saucer plates. "I really did see her, Caroline!"

I pick up my phone and dial my dad's number, "Okay, I'll check and see where they are."

He answers after the fifth ring, "Hey, Care. What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I can hear a lot of people speaking at once at the other end. "Where are you guys?"

"We're still at the mall," He replies, "I told you we will be a little late, didn't I?"

"Yes, you did," I sigh, "Is Elizabeth Mary with you."

"Yes, your stepmother is with me."

I grit my teeth. He has been trying to get me to call Elizabeth Mary my stepmom, but there is absolutely no way that is going to happen.

"Okay, dad. I'll see you later." I hang up and turn back to my laptop.

"They're still at the mall."

Her face turns pale, "But Care, I really did see her-"

"I know," I take a deep breath, "Look I'm going to bathe now. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"NO!" She screams, "I won't be able to sleep tonight after what I just saw!"

I roll my eyes. Sabrina is such a drama queen. "What do you want me to do?"

"Can I stay over at your house tonight?"

"There is no way in hell that I am going to let you interrupt my sleep tonight."

. . .

"I hate you," I say as I open the main door.

Sabrina smiles, "I know."

She bounces into my house and goes over to inspect the pictures on the mantle.

"Is this Elizabeth Mary?" She asks, holding up the picture of the girl on the beach.

"That's her sister," I say, "She died five years ago."

"That's a year after your parents started dating right?"

"I don't consider Elizabeth Mary my parent," I say.

Sabrina inspects the picture more carefully, "She looks a lot like Elizabeth Mary."

The creaking of the stairs pulls our attention away from the picture. Luke stands on the stairs, "Is my mom back yet?"

"No," I say not looking at him, "It was Sabrina who was at the door."

He turns to Sabrina, who waves enthusiastically. "Why are you staying over?"

"Oh, because I saw a ghost," She says nonchalantly.

"What?"

"Sabrina has issues," I interrupt. She sticks her tongue out at me.

"Okay," Luke says awkwardly, "I'm just going to-"

"So I heard that Caroline and you had a fight."

I swear, I will kill this woman one day.

He looks at me and I look away, "Well, yeah."