Chapter 12

Chapter 12

The four of us are standing at my backyard, under the pouring rain. We stare at the ground like idiots.

"I still don't understand," Sabrina states.

"None of us do," Luke rolls his eyes.

"How can she be buried alive if she's upstairs sleeping?" Jason asks, scratching his blonde head.

"I don't know," I sigh, "But I'm so confused."

They nod along. I kick a chunk of dirt and watch it come apart. I sigh, "We should get back in."

"We're soaking wet," Sabrina says, "Won't we dirty the house?"

"Yes it will, but I'm not going to stand here in the pouring rain all night," I answer.

Luke shrugs, "I wouldn't mind doing that. I'm wide awake now."

So am I. The rush of fear and adrenaline I got when I first heard the echoing voice hasn't faded one bit.

"We could go to a cafe and just talk while we dry off," Jason suggests.

"I don't have a car," I say, "And I'm too lazy to walk all the way to the nearest cafe."

"I have a car and I drove it here yesterday." Jason digs out his car keys from his jeans pocket, "Shall we?"

"You keep your car keys in your pocket when you sleep?" Sabrina asks incredulously.

"Yeah."

"You see?" She turns to me, "This is why I broke up with him."

Luke and I start laughing as Jason puts his hand over his chest and feigns hurt, "Ouch."

Sabrina rolls her eyes at him, "Come on, lets go."

"Sabrina, you do realize that we are wearing pajamas right?" I gesture to her shorts and t-shirt, my tank top and pj bottoms, and Luke's t-shirt and pj bottoms. Jason slept in his shirt and jeans.

She shrugs, "So what?"

I look at Luke and he starts laughing.

"Okay, lets go," I say.

. . .

Sabrina brings her palm down on the table, hard. We all stop talking and turn to stare at her. Even the loud chatter around us stops for a moment before it resumes.

"You guys aren't asking the real question here!" She exclaims, "How do we know that what we heard and what Caroline saw is even a real ghost?"

"We don't," I say turning to Jason, "Unless you have something that will be able to tell if its a real ghost."

"I do," He says, surprising me, "It's back at your house."

"Why didn't you use it?"

"Because I wasn't even conscious when the ghost was in your room."

"We don't know if its a ghost or not," Luke corrects.

"Fine, then whatever it is," Jason says rolling his green eyes.

"You have nice eyes," I say, suddenly, "It's green like the ocean  I've never noticed it before."

"Oh," Jason blushes, "Thanks?"

"They aren't that unique," Luke cuts in irritably, "I think mine are better."

I turn to look at him, ready to lecture him for that comment when I catch sight of his expression. His fist is curled into a tight ball and his teeth are clenched. He's angry. Or maybe jealous.