Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Sabrina and Jason ring the dusty doorbell and stand back, patiently waiting for the door to be opened. Luke and I stand behind them, exchanging worried glances.

"I have a bad feeling about this," Luke mutters.

"Well, I'm getting a cold!" Sabrina glares at him, "So, shut up!"

On usual circumstances, I would've laughed, but when we're about to enter a house that looks as though it is inhabited by nobody, nothing is hilarious.

"I don't think anybody is coming-" I start, but the door swings open at that very moment, hitting us with a blast of warm air. We lean in closer unconsciously.

A skinny old man with a sour expression comes into view. He glares at us sourly, "What?"

"Sir," Sabrina smiles, putting on the charm, "We we're wondering if you have a fireplace. You see, my friends and I have been walking for over an hour and its freezing out here. Do you think you can allow us to warm up by your fireplace just for a few minutes?"

"No," He says immediately, eying us distrustfuly. He tries slamming the door, but Sabrina puts her foot through, stopping him.

"Why not?" She asks, her eyes growing wide.

Oh, that girl can act.

Or maybe she's just freezing and desperate to get warm.

"How do I know you teenagers aren't going to rob me?"

"Seriously?" She raises an eyebrow, "We're too skinny to even try to rob you. Well, except for that guy." She jerks her head towards Luke, "He's the only one with abs among us."

"Are you saying that I'm skinny?" Jason asks, his jaw dropping.

"Yes," Sabrina rolls her eyes at him, "Why do you think I broke up with you?"

"Honey, who's at the door?" Somebody from inside calls.

"A bunch of teenagers who want to rob us," The old man replies, glaring and wrinkling his wrinkled nose at us.

"We aren't..." Sabrina trails off as a plump old lady comes into view.

"Hello," She smiles at us, "You have to forgive my husband. He's very distrustful."

She looks kind and motherly. Maybe going in to warm up won't be such a bad idea.

"Do you think we can use your fireplace?" Jason repeats, "We've been walking for a long time and we're freezing."

"Of course," She agrees, much to the displeasure of the old man.

"We'll leave the moment we're done warming up," Sabrina assures.

"It's okay, sweetheart," The old lady smiles toothily at us, showing a set of false teeth, "You kids can take as long as you need."

She pulls the door open wide so that we are able to enter. It looks like a typical cabin, with yellow lights and wooden flooring, ceiling, and walls. It may look ugly on the outside, but it's pretty maintained on the inside.

Sabrina runs to the fireplace and sits before it, sighing in comfort as she rubs her bare arms. Luke and Jason join her, laughing and talking.

I need to use the bathroom, so I turn around to ask the nice old lady where it is, but she is talking to the old man.

"They need to leave," He says.

"They aren't going to hurt us, Robin," The old lady replies, smiling.