Chapter Sixteen

Cordially Cordelia

Chapter Sixteen

~~

Gideon hugged Cordelia tightly, he had missed everything about her- he had missed the way she talked, walked, smelled, laughed, smiled, everything. She wasn't a perfect person, no one was but he very much felt that she was his perfect match, she was perfect for him.

"Whatta 'bout Howie?" Cordelia questioned pulling away, she looked up at him with worry feeling her deep brown eyes "What if he comes after us?"

"Then I'll protect you, but honestly Cory I don't think we have to worry about him anymore. Kane-my ranch hand admitted to everything, he told the marshal everything that Howie did and the Marshal arrives to collect his criminal from the jailhouse tomorrow morning."

She smiled at him and took ahold of his hand with hers "Would you like to meet my family?" she asked.

"I would." Gideon smiled at her, she was the woman he'd been imagining his whole life. She was the mother of his son and of their future children the life he had craved for all those years was finally his.

"Did ya leave Max with your Ma and Pa?" She asked walking closely to him.

"I did. I could wire them I'm sure Josh could bring him here for us if that's what you want." He suggested. And much to his surprise Cordelia shook her head no.

"I wanna go home... as soon as possible, we can come back to visit my family or they could come see us."

"I'd like that very much." Gideon said before kissing her forehead. They went to her grandparent's house and he met the people who looked very much like his beautiful wife and son.

Everyone was very welcoming, especially her grandmother Catherine whom much preferred to be called "Kate"

"Where have you been all this time?" She questioned quickly waving a dismissively hand "No matter we're so happy to meet you! Although I would have liked it iffen you would have brought my great-grandson! I can't believe I have a great-grandson."

Cordelia smiled brightly up at Gideon and he nodded as if reading her thoughts. She took his hand and squeezed it tightly.

"Well we were thinkin' y'all could come visit us in Colorado, we live on a lovely ranch y'all would enjoy the scenery."

"Oh isn't that grand! Did you hear her Caleb? We would love to! We haven't travelled since... what has it been Caleb twenty years or so? Yes I think it has been that long."

Gideon tried not to laugh as Kate barely let Caleb answer her questions before speaking for him. Caleb smiled at his wife, the older couple reminded him of his own parents. Of course his parents were younger, but they were just as much in love as the Burkhart's were.

After a while longer of visiting they left and went back to Gideon's room at the boardinghouse. It was a small room with white-washed walls one window with white curtains that matched the bedding. The bed was small; the frame was dark and matched the kitchen chair in the corner and the wooden floors. There was a small wash stand near the door and a trunk against the wall and that was all there was to the room.

Gideon closed the door behind him and cleared his throat "It's not home, that's for sure."

Cordelia simply smiled at him light danced off the walls from the lantern that sat atop the trunk.

"Anywhere you are is home." She answered simply. She stepped forward and he embraced her kissing her on the lips with the love he felt for her, she returned the kiss with passion of her own and that night was their first as husband and wife.