Chapter Four- Photo of Isaac

Cordially Cordelia

Chapter Four

~~

Cordelia crossed her arms when Gideon announced that he'd be leaving on a cattle drive. They had been married for two days and he had yet to tell any of his family aside from his two brothers.

"I'll ask Smokey to stay behind to make sure you and Max are safe." He told her as he leaned against the counter sipping a cup of coffee.

"His name is Maximus! We're not gonna be stayin' behind, we're comin' with ya."

"Cory it isn't safe-"

"Don't be callin' me that!" She said rolling her eyes, he had just started calling her that yesterday; it annoyed her that he insisted on shorting everyone's name. "We're goin' End of discussion." She said standing up to refile her cup. She planned on making breakfast for everyone, but just as he had the past two days Gideon woke up before and prepared eggs and flapjacks.

She had never seen people eat so much before, he made enough to feed an army but it was only him and his brother Isaac and Max and sometimes his other brother Josh.

The ranch hands cooked for themselves and would eat in their own house. The four ranch hands shared a smaller cabin not too far from theirs.

"This is not the end of discussion!" Gideon said with a sigh as he sat his cup down and made her and him a plate of flapjacks and eggs. He put them back in the oven to keep warm for the others. "Cory I don't want you or Max to get hurt. Why can't you just stay here? There's plenty of food and it's warm, and we wouldn't have to stop on Max's lessons..."

"Maximus and I are a' comin' with ya. I was raised on a cattle ranch; it'll be a hog-killin' time."

Gideon sighed as he pushed her plate in front of her "Have you ever been on a cattle drive?" He asked. His blue eyes still caught her off guard. They were such a bright blue she wasn't sure she'd ever get used to them.

"Yes" she said firmly "My Pa used 'ta be a ranch hand, he took me with him once."

"Once?"

"I ain't no Namby-pamby coffee boiler!" She said insulted that men automatically assumed women were frail and good for nothing but keeping house.

Gideon laughed slightly at that.

"What do ya think that's rich?" She asked pushing her plate aside.

"I do slightly." He admitted "You're very determined to come aren't you?" When she nodded he smiled and continued "What's wrong can't see spending even a day without your new husband?"

Her mouth dropped, she couldn't believe he had thought that! They hadn't even kissed nor would they; they were married in name only until summer when she could leave for good. She could go back to Kentucky and live the rest of her days happily with Maximus.

"N-no!" she said standing up "That ain't what I meant!"

"Calm down Cory." He said laughing at her reaction "I was just kiddin' around; look I get it you want to be seen as an equal. I grew up with six sisters I understand I really do. I don't think you less than, I actually think quite the opposite. I just want you and Max to stay safe, it's a late drive for us- usually we do this in the summer not at harvest but our buyers insisted... it'll be only a few weeks and then we'll be back. Please stay here?"

She raised an eyebrow, she wasn't about to let someone tell her what to do least of all a husband.

She wondered why he didn't want her to come, was he embarrassed of her? Did he have another woman? All men did, but why should she care? Why should it bother her?