Chapter Fifteen

Cordially Cordelia

Chapter Fifteen

~~

Collin stepped forward and hugged her, she was taken aback at first, never having a close knit family of her own she hadn't expected to be hugged. But it was nice; it was a genuine hug that reminded her of the way the Wade's hugged.

"I'm sorry" Collin said once he pulled away "I just can't believe you're here! All this time we've wanted to meet you... How is Cybil? Is she well?"

"Ya don't know?" Cordelia questioned still not knowing why her mother felt the need to lie about her family.

"Know what?" Collin questioned his brown eyes reminded her so much of her late mothers.

"My mother... she died... So did my brothers and my father."

"I'm so sorry." He said sincerely "We haven't heard from your Ma since the boys were born... The last letter we got simply said "Had another son Gavin Caleb James, C.C. loves being an eldest sister, Garrett likes having a baby brother."

"She told me y'all died when she was young..." Cordelia said not understanding what had happened to keep her mother from talking to her family.

Collin looked just as confused as she did but he shook it off.

"It doesn't matter what happened we're just glad you're here... Are you ready to meet your Aunt Cecilia and your grandparents and cousins?"

Cordelia smiled and nodded "Very much."

Cordelia listened as Collin's wife Henrietta told her the story of how they met, apparently her father had been one of his professors at medical school and one day Henrietta came by to see her father and it was love at first sight, or so they said. Cordelia found herself thinking of Gideon, she hadn't loved him at first, it was something that happened slowly either that or she just denied her feelings for him until she couldn't deny them any longer.

"Are you married Cordelia?" Henrietta questioned.

"Yes" Cordelia said with a slight smile "My husband is named Gideon and we have a son Max,

He'll be six next month."

"How lovely! Our youngest Hannah is about to turn five... We've also got two older sons- Samuel he's twelve and Caleb he's nine."

Cordelia listened to Henrietta as she talked about her children while her heart ached for her own- she missed Max so much that it hurt, the only thing that made it bearable was knowing that Gideon and his family were caring for him. They'd take good care of her son; she had no doubt about that.

It didn't take long for them to get to her grandparents' house. It was a large beautiful three story white house. The porch was large and house chairs small end tables and a porch swing. Flower boxes lined the windows and a small brick path led its way through the fence towards the stairs.

She accepted Collin's help from the wagon and followed Henrietta and him inside, she could hear laughter coming from the house as they drew nearer giving it a warm family feel.

Collin opened the door and allowed Cordelia to walk in before him. She bit her lip as all eyes turned to her. An older woman with graying blond hair and cerulean blue eyes stepped forward tears forming in her eyes.

"C.C. is that you?" The woman breathed just as tears fell down her cheeks "You look just like your mother." The woman cupped her face just before hugging her.

"I can't believe y'all are still alive... my Ma told me... well that y'all had died."

The woman pulled away and frowned "You mean to tell me in the past seventeen years your Ma hasn't told you the truth?"