Chapter Thirteen

Dedicated to PixieKari

Cordially Cordelia

Chapter Thirteen

~~

Gideon felt as though his worst nightmares were coming true as he frantically searched for his wife near the abandoned cabin. It was still dark out and even if the sun had risen it would be next to impossible to track her with the fresh layer of snow that had fallen since they left the house. He was thankful Isaac said nothing about the whole situation; instead he remained quiet and helped him look for any sign of his wife.

He couldn't help but feeling it was entirely his fault- Because it really was. What a miserable excuse for a husband he turned out to be, it was ironic really- he had wanted a family of his own his whole life and now he couldn't even keep them from getting kidnapped.

He had broken his promise to keep Cordelia and Max safe, and she'd probably never forgive him not that he blamed her.

"Sun will rise soon" Isaac said "I was thinking whoever's behind this must be one of our men... one of the ranch hands, they'd know the land as well as us... and if I was trying to hide out I'd go towards the cave."

Gideon couldn't believe he hadn't thought of it before, of course it was one of their men... but who would it be? Smokey and Obie were as trustworthy as their own family, but Kane and Benji kept to themselves mostly, it wasn't completely uncommon for a hired hand to be running from something and Gideon never thought anything of it but that would change from now on.

"You're right" Gideon said "Iz, I want to thank you for coming with me... no matter what happens I'm glad I have you as my brother."

"Don't talk like that Gideon."

"Like what?" Gideon questioned.

"You're talking like you're gonna die... You're not. We're going to find her and whoever's behind this and all will be well."

Gideon smiled; this was how his brother used to be he just hoped that one day he'd find someone who brought out the best in him instead of Lorraine who seemed to bring out the worst in him.

"Let's get goin' then." Gideon said kicking the sides of his horse.

They kept to the trees so they could remain hidden even if the sun rose. The cave was a good forty minutes from their house and midway up the mountain, from what he could tell the cave remained empty, but he decided they'd start checking it from now on.

Gideon stopped his horse and Isaac followed suit, he listened closely as the sound of horses hooves drew closer, the sun was rising casting a pinkish-orange glow over the valley. His heart stopped as he instantly recognized Cordelia atop a black stallion. He urged his horse forward slightly.

"Gideon-"

"I have to go after her." He said cutting off Isaac's remark, he couldn't sit by and watch her be chased by another rider.

~~ ~~

Everything had happened so quickly, Cordelia had almost thought that her mind was playing tricks on her as the scene in front of her unfolded- She had seen Gideon galloping towards her, her heart raced as she gazed upon his handsome face.

He was so gallant coming to her rescue and not caring if he was hurt or not. No one had ever cared about her enough to put their own life in danger. He shot at Mike who rode not far behind her. The sound seemed to echo off the valley walls spooking Gideon's horse but not before she heard three more shots fired.

Gideon fell from his horse quickly, falling to the rocky ground below. She jumped from her horse before it had even came to a full stop and ran to him not caring about getting shot herself, all she could think of was Gideon.