Chapter Ten

Cordially Cordelia

Chapter Ten

~~

Gideon smiled at his brother that night, surprised that he had stayed up with him and Cordelia as he usually went to bed earlier than everyone.

"What?" Isaac asked sitting at the table with left over cake Cordelia had made the day before.

"Lorraine's sister sure is interesting... or at least you seemed to think so." Gideon said half way teasingly.

"What's your point?" Isaac asked taking a long drink from his glass of milk.

Cordelia acted like she wasn't listening as she practiced writing sentences with chalk on Max's slate, but he didn't miss the slight smile that she tried to hide by drinking some of her milk.

"Do you like her?" Gideon asked seriously, putting his arm on the back of Cordelia's chair as he checked her work.

"Who Rose?" Isaac questioned, when Gideon nodded he continued "Gideon, I'm engaged to her sister Lorraine- Remember."

Cordelia looked up and met Isaac's gaze before speaking softly "Isaac, Lorraine ain't the girl for ya she's far too... prickly."

Gideon smiled, feeling down right proud of Cordelia for speaking up.

"I suppose this is your doing as well?" Isaac questioned looking towards Gideon.

"Excuse me" Cordelia said firmly as if she were getting onto Max for sneaking candy before a meal "I've got a mind of my own!"

She pushed her slate aside and got up from the table "Iffen you wanna marry an uppity woman who treats ya badly that's your business, but don't go accusing me of bein' a harebrained woman, who ain't got a single thought n' her mind!" and with that she walked swiftly towards the bedroom she shared with Max, Gideon felt a slightly disappointed she wouldn't continue to share his room, but that was his own fault for allowing himself to get his hopes up.

Nothing had changed, nor would it. She wanted to return home to Kentucky, she didn't want to be his wife.

"You'll sure have your hands full with that one." Isaac commented "Although she's a great cook so it could be worse."

"Life would never be boring." Gideon agreed, although he liked how Cordelia spoke her mind and told people exactly what she thought, he liked how she was agreeable but she wasn't a typical woman. He admired the fact that she had such a hard life and yet she still kept her spunk. "You need to apologize to her Iz, she was just trying to help... she doesn't like Lorraine either and she doesn't like the way she treats you."

"Lorraine is just used to a different lifestyle is all" Isaac said defensively "She isn't all bad... she just was spoiled being the oldest child and all. I'm sure she'll get better when she's older."

Gideon refrained from saying anything, the last thing he wanted was to fight with his little brother.

Instead he opened a Sherlock Holmes book his sister Ariel had gotten him for Christmas."

~~ ~~

Cordelia pulled the blanket onto Maximus, who had a tendency of kicking his covers off in the night. She got ready for bed, and though she didn't want to admit it to herself she missed Gideon's company. In the week they had shared the room she had actually enjoyed it, he hadn't tried anything with her, which she appreciated.

They talked about their day, the way her mother and father used to when she was young she still remembered hearing their muffled voices from her room, well into the night. She knew though if she continued to stay in his room than it would be expected of her to preform "Wifely duties" and she wasn't comfortable with that, not after her experiences with Hugh.