22 - You Like Me Too Much

Dedicated to VagabondNomad for the banner. Barbie FTW LOL.

Listen to You Like Me Too Much by The Beatles or Miss Make The Boys Cry by Sonyae Elise, Nick Nittoli and Melissa Rapp. The second song is a thousand kinds of awesome. 

Irritatingly asking me to update this book will result in you getting 'ignored'.

Also, I am horrible at writing fluff. Haha. I iz zowee.

22 – You Like Me Too Much

Cheesy decorations, really loud and – I found this part more offensive – really horriblemusic topped off with a theme that only made sense to the people who made it up.

That was a fitting three item summary of the Homecoming Dance at Middle of Nowhere High – or any high school anywhere, really.

“You're really not going to dance?” Paul yelled over the dubstep track that was currently playing.

I stared at my brother. “Are you suggesting that we should dance together, Paul?”

As if to mock him, the loud party song transitioned into a slow melody. “Uhh, yeah,” I smirked. “No way in hell am I dancing to 'I'll Be' with my brother.” I laughed and Paul, smiling sheepishly, joined in. Almost immediately though, we were back to sitting in silence. This was how we'd spent the past thirty minutes ever since our friends had gone off to enjoy the dance with their dates.

George had earlier introduced me to Hayley, a cheery girl with streaks of bright purple, pink and teal decorating her pale blonde hair. While she nearly drove a wedge between my older brothers, I could see why George and Paul had both been drawn to her. She was the artsy type – all chill and funky and cool – and heaven knows those two could use a whole lot more 'cool' in their lives.

Rosie's date, Jae, was, like her, Korean. He too had Rosie's I-have-an-adorable-smile-but-I-can-kick-your-αss-in-two-seconds-flat charm. That part wasn't really surprising since he also had a black belt in Taekwondo. I was, of course, quick to point out that if Jae beat Paul to a pulp, it wouldn't be that embarrassing since they were at least the same height. Paul was quick to distance himself from the couple.

But the winner for the most surprising match up had to be Moe and Jessie. What the ever-responsible Jessie and master-delinquent Moe had in common, I knew not a fυck about. They were having a good time with each other though and, really, that was all I cared about.

Jared was the only other person who hadn't come with a date – but I'm guessing his burgundy shirt and canary yellow tie had something to do with that. Then again, he was quickly snatched up for a dance by one of his just-as-freakishly-tall classmates and I was yet to see him again. I guess the whole burgundy-and-canary-yellow combo actually worked for some people – who knew?

So this was how Paul and I were left to our own devices.

The difference between us, however, was that I had no interest in burning up the dance floor whereas Paul's feet kept tapping to the rhythm of whatever song was playing. He'd sat every dance out because he was playing the overprotective older brother card again. He was even trying his hardest to ignore a girl who kept sending him flirty smiles because he just didn't want to leave me alone.

“You can go and dance if you want,” I offered after the girl had boldy waved at Paul. “Not to inflate your ego but she's been itching to talk to you since we sat down.”