15 - Ticket to Ride

Dedicated to ReaperTheGenius for helping me cast Ian Somerhalder as Sam Wallace. If you're curious, Garrett Neff is Charlie Wallace (though I'm not sure if he'll be in this story at all). Both banners to the side, however, are made by The_Aristocrat. Look guys, it's a Finn banner! Yay!

Listen to Ticket to Ride by The Beatles or Drive by Incubus.  I recommend you listen to the duet they did with Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders (via le External Link). Double awesomeness, I tell you.

15 – Ticket to Ride

“So we're just going to walk out of school?”

Finn smiled confidently. “That's the plan.”

“And you're telling me no one is going to notice?”

“We're already waist deep in a pool of trouble anyway.” He shrugged, avoiding my question and continued to lead the way out of the tree line. “What's one more drop?”

“Nerdy as this may make me sound: skipping school doesn't seem like a fυcking drop of trouble, Finnigan.”

He rolled his eyes at me but gave me a knowing smirk nonetheless. “Do you care, though? I mean, you did tell the principal that he could, for all you cared, suspend you or – you had some other term for it – oh yeah, whatever shιthead punishment he had lined up for you.”

I pretended to narrow my eyes and look menacing but my heart just wasn't in it. So I gave him a smirk of my own instead. “For the record, I said shιtty – not shιthead – and it's incredibly sweet of you to remember the things I said.” I sighed dramatically. “I'm just about to melt from all the warm, fuzzy feelings in my heart.”

“Really?” He coughed, obviously fighting back a laugh, and turned his head to raise an eyebrow at me. “You have that?”

“The fuzzy feelings? Of course I do. Give me a Pixar movie and I'll show you some goddαmn fuzzy feelings. I also get them each time someone puts importance in what I said. It makes me feel so loved.” I smirked evilly. “The heart on the other hand – that's up for contention.”

Finn laughed as we stepped out of the thicket of trees and into a parking lot.

Huh.

I'm guessing this was the Middle of Nowhere High School parking lot since we hadn't been walking for more than a few minutes.

I didn't know this school had one of those since one, the parking lot was behind the school and not in front of it and two, to put it simply, I didn't have a fυcking car to park here. Thank you, parents and your sometimes-irritating-though-always-admirable concern for the environment.

Again, kids, that was sarcasm – I expect you all to be experts on the topic at the end of all of this.

Finn continued to walk casually past all of the parked cars and, as my hand was still in his, I could only try to keep up with his longer strides.

You can always let go of his hand, Lennon, and not risk tripping and having to eat parking lot gravel.

Here, take an eye roll, you moron.

I knew that. Duh.

But there was a tiny part of my brain that noticed how warm Finn's hand felt around my own.

So while a quiet, but very nagging, part of my brain told me to let go of his hand, there was a louder – but still very nagging – part ordered that bit to shut the fυck up and just enjoy being tethered to another human being in such an innocent and non-confusing way.