Chap. 17

A shiver ran through my body as I ran my hand through my sweat-soaked hair.

I placed my hands on my knees, panting for breath as my hands slid off my legs due to the sweat.

I straightened back up, taking in a deep breath and letting it out slowly before forcing myself to go again.

Another round of sprints.

The sun had long past set, and it was just me out here.

But every minute I wasn’t training, someone else was.

I finished up my final round of sprints before sprawling out on the field, letting my body ache as I stared up at the starry sky.

And then my phone went off, across the field, ruining the peaceful silence.

I crawled over to my bag, answering the incoming call from Zach Matthews.

“Hello?” I asked.

“Hey.”

“Hey.”

There were a couple moments of silence.

“So we haven’t talked since the wedding,” he stated.

When he sang All of Me and then proceeded to walk out of the reception.

“Right,” I agreed, still lying on my back and staring up at the sky.

“But I could really use your help tomorrow moving Trey in.”

Oh yeah, that’s right. Trey was moving into the Bachelor Pad.

I picked up some grass and let it go into the cool night air, silence stretching between us.

“Okay,” I agreed, after a few moments.

It’s just moving Trey in, right? What’s the worst that could happen?

 ~*~

“I brought donuts,” I announced, as I walked into the Bachelor Pad.

“Donuts!” Trey cheered, his voice somewhere in the back.

Zach was in the kitchen, and he immediately took his sprinkled donut as soon as I opened the box.

“You’re the best,” he promised, before taking a bite.

“I know,” I agreed, taking my white iced donut before Trey appeared.

“The movers are supposed to be here in ten,” Trey informed me, as he came into the kitchen. He snatched up a simple glazed donut. “And then we can get to work.”

“Jess moved his stuff out before the wedding,” Zach said, leaning against the counter. “So all we’ve got to do is move Trey in.”

Sounds simple enough.

We munched on donuts and Zach made some coffee while we waited on the moving truck.

“So are they enjoying Germany?” I asked, sipping on my mug of coffee.

Zach nodded. “They’re headed back this Friday, but Jess said if given the option, he wouldn’t come back.”

I laughed, running my fingers through my hair. “They’re adorable.”

“The Honeymoon Phase,” Trey corrected. “It won’t last forever.”

“Exactly,” Zach agreed, reaching over me to fist-bump Trey.

“This is why you guys live in a Bachelor Pad,” I informed them, as the honk of a horn came from downstairs.

The movers were here.