Chap. 13

“You’re late,” Sydney accused, as I took a seat in one of the beauty chairs.

“Sorry, but my coach wasn’t too pleased when I told him why I had to cut out on practice,” I said, letting my hair down out of the ponytail.

“You came from practice?”

“I showered off.”

She stared at me. “Please tell me you’re joking.”

I rolled my eyes, running my fingers through my hair. “I do have a job you know, to play soccer.”

“I need Caroline over here stat!” Sydney called, standing up. “Kate is def going to need the most work.”

“Hurtful.”

“You deserve it.”

I knew it was just a bridezilla thing, I’d read up on it. The closer to the wedding, the more testy the bride became.

And today was definitely a high-stress day for her.

Caroline curled my hair and then I changed out into my bridesmaid dress. I slipped on the silver heels and was the last one to join the girls out in the gardens.

“You look stunning,” Sydney said, kissing my cheek.

“Thanks,” I said, kissing her cheek in return.

The men weren’t out here yet, but the pictures started. We were organized in hundreds of positions, Sydney’s white dress prominent against our deep purple ones.

“Maid of Honor and the bride?” the photographer asked.

Sydney and I took hundreds of pictures together. We were falling over each other, laughing the entire time.

“Ladies, please,” the photographer said, clearly frustrated.

We sobered up for about two minutes, before I made the mistake of looking into Sydney’s eyes, and the two of us busted out into giggles again.

“For the love of God,” the photographer groaned.

“I’m sorry,” Sydney promised, wiping a tear from her face. “It’s really all Katelyn’s fault.”

“As if,” I protested. “Sydney is the one cackling like a maniac.”

“Can I get all the bridesmaids back again?” the photographer asked.

We finished up the bridesmaid pictures, and then the photographer dismissed us.

“Hurry,” Sydney said, yanking my arm.

“Hurry for what?” I asked, pulling off my heels and holding up my dress so I could keep up with her.

“Jesse can’t see my wedding dress,” she said, pulling me back into the room where we’d had our hair and makeup done.

“So that’s why the boys weren’t out there.”

She nodded, turning around so I could unzip her.

I unzipped her dress and helped her out of it, carefully hanging the dress back up on a hanger and zipping it up in a bag.

In the meantime, Sydney pulled on a white sundress and white sandals.

I fixed her curls for her, fluffing them up and framing them around her face before we went back out to the gardens.

“You’re the bestest best friend I could ever ask for,” Sydney said, looping her arm through mine.

“Not true,” I said, falling into step with her.

“Why’s that?”

“Because you practically had to beg me to be your Maid of Honor. What kind of best friend wouldn’t automatically do that?”