Chap. 8

"Good morning!" Connor called, as I came in from my morning run.

"Good morning?" I asked, eyeing as he flipped a blueberry pancake.

"And how did you sleep?"

"Fine," I answered, peeling my running armband off my arm. "What's going on?"

"I'm just making my favorite sister breakfast."

I scoffed. "What's really going on?"

He handed me a plate with three blueberry pancakes on it. "Whipped cream?"

"Okay," I agreed, pouring myself a cup of coffee before taking a seat.

No matter how odd it was, I would never pass up free blueberry pancakes, especially ones made by Connor.

He handed me the whipped cream before going back to making more pancakes.

"Are you feeding an army?" I asked, as I squirted whipped cream all over my pancakes.

He didn't answer.

"Do you have company?" I asked, looking up at him.

"Kind of."

"What's kind of?"

I heard the front door open, and I looked over to the kitchen door.

My insides froze when mom and dad walked into the kitchen.

"Good morning!" Connor said, cheerfully. "Blueberry pancakes?"

I took a long, hard swallow so I could choke down the pancake mess in my mouth.

"Katelyn!" my mom exclaimed, as her eyes landed on me. She threw her arms around me, a smile stretched across her face. "How are you dear?"

"Fine," I managed to choke out, my mouth dry.

"Fine?" she asked, letting go. "We haven't seen you since Christmas and all I get is fine?"

"Great?"

She laughed, accepting a plate of pancakes from Connor. "It's so good to see you! I've missed you." She drizzled some syrup over her pancakes.

I took another bite of pancake, burning holes in the back of Connor's head with my glare.

"You haven't called," dad accused, still watching me from across the kitchen as though I was diseased.

"The phone works both ways," I informed him, as I finished off my current bite of pancake.

"Coffee dear?" mom asked dad, raising her eyebrows at him.

He grunted, pouring himself a cup of coffee.

Silence settled over the kitchen, and I began to bounce my right leg up and down to try and shake off the nerves.

"Well I really need to get going," I said, going to stand up.

"So soon?" mom asked, hurt flashing across her face.

Why did she have to look at me like that?

"Yeah, I have stuff I need to get done before soccer," I said, with a nod.

Dad grunted.

"Do you have something to say?" I challenged, folding my arms across my chest.

"So about the tour," Connor interjected, giving me a pointed look.

If there's one thing Connor hated, it was family conflict. And Lana Wilson.

"How're you feeling?" mom asked him.