Chapter 28: Last one

Chapter 28:

That’s it. He’s dead. Liam is dead. After everything we’ve been through. After everything he had done to help us, he dies for us. I can’t believe it. Memories from our short time together begin to appear on my mind. Back in the time when we were just two kids hanging out together as neighbours. The blue of his eyes. His eyes. Will I ever see those again? And now, now I realise something. I loved this guy, from the first day I saw him. So, why have I never told him ? I think that it’s the worst part about L’s death. Tears are streaming down my face, but I don’t care. I should have told him how I feel. He died without knowing it, and I won’t be able to live with this. Megan leans towards me and press her hands on my shoulder.

She clears out her throat and says, like she was reading my mind “He knew the way you felt about him, that is for sure.”

That’s one good moment to have a friend. Jeremy joins in our little hug. I cry, and cry and cry. There’s nothing else I can do. I never kissed him, even though I wanted to do it every time I was around him. Well, better late than never. I lean to him, the guy I am in love with, and he had to die for me to realise it. I stare at his beautiful face, peaceful, and kiss him. His lips are so soft. How will I be able to live with myself with him gone? There must be a way to bring him back. I have power after all! I looked up to see Jeremy, Megan, Sabrina and her father watching me closely. Andrew and Justin were gone.

 “Where are they?” I asked them, my voice clear and loud. Not what I was expecting since I was devastated.

 “They took off. I couldn’t run after them and let you here with a… Dead person…” Said the sherrif.

I nodded then turned to Jay. “Call Lucy. I’m sure there’s something we can do to save him.” He nodded and walked away to call his mother.

“He’s dead! Can’t you see that?” Screamed Sabrina in her high pitch voice. I swear I will hit this girl on the head with a shovel.

 Megan spoke before any of us could say something. “We are aware of that, but since there are two gifted people here, maybe there is something they can do. Unlike you, they might be able to bring him back” , she snaps.

Sabrina looked furious, but she didn’t say anything back, which in her case was pretty weird. I don’t care about it. I turned back to Liam and took his hand in mine. The color was already starting to drain from his face and his hand was cold. “I’m so sorry L. I wish I could have done something to save you. Don’t worry, I’m sure Lucy will help us. She was after all, in her old time, training like you right? I know there’s something we can do! There must be a way…You can’t leave us, you can’t leave me. I need you so much L. Please come back to me. ” Tears had begun to form in my eyes and I couldn’t keep them, so I let them fall, again.

***

By the time Lucy arrives, I am still holding Liam’s hand. She gets to me, hugs me, and then speaks: “Sam, I think it is time for me to tell you why I am still alive, without my lock.” My eyes light up. She could save Liam, after all! I cheer up! Hold on L, you’re coming back, I said to myself.

 She pushes her hair to the side to show me the lock. “When I started the hunter training, I didn’t know what it would involve. But then, I knew that I had to kill people. I didn’t want that. And I realised that a guy wasn’t a good reason enough to get into this. So I decided to end my days. I knew that by cutting the lock, I would die, and I wouldn’t kill anyone, by accident or not. So I did it. At my big surprise, I woke up a bit after. Weak. Very weak. I looked in the mirror, and the lock wasn’t all gone. Half of it was still there, and the purple had faded a little bit. I deducted that it was maybe because I didn’t cut it all. My hunter powers were gone. I am still a bit weak, but nevertheless alive.”

Adrenaline rushes into my veins. If the lock on Liam’s hair is not completely gone, there is still hope! I delicately turn his head, get his beautiful brown hair out of the way, and look to the place there was a lock. Was. It is gone! I stumble and fall to the ground. There is no hope left. I’m empty, and always will be. Everyone gathers around me and him, no one bothering about Justin and Andrew. After all, Justin was really an asshole, he didn’t miss his shot. When the sunrise arrives, I’m now alone with L’s dead body. Still crying, his hand in mine. I don’t know what to do. I could stay here, forever, and not care about the rest of the world still spinning around us. I would give everything to get him back. My life, my powers, name it! Life is so unfair.

I pass my hand in my hair, and a hair falls on his chest. It makes contrast with his black t-shirt. Wait, where’s my hair? Maybe it is the fact that I am really really tired, but the hair disappeared. I am not feeling good, all of a sudden. Something is leaving me. Purple light is going out of my hands, and it’s going exactly where my hair disappeared. What is going on? I feel so weak that I could fall if I wasn’t already on the ground. Something about me is not the same anymore. The purple light is gone now. That may be my powers. What else would it be?

 As I question myself about what is it, a movement distracts me. A chest that’s goes up and down, breathing. Liam’s chest. As my heart, body and soul cheer up, my love opens his eyes. Blue eyes that were sometimes a pale purple, are now so purple that they shine. I thought that I would never see him again, well alive. Happily, I jump on him and kiss him. His lips are so much softer now that he is kissing me back. As I kiss him, I can’t stop the smile that creeps to my lips as I feel all the love from our embrace.

In this world, there’s a lot of thing we can’t explain. My gift, our gifts, was one of them. Magic can’t be explained, and it is the same for the things I witnessed today. But, the biggest thing that we can’t explain, is love. You feel it in every bone, every muscle of your body, and, I assure you, it’s the best unexplained and unexpected feeling in our world.

THE END.

Author’s note: Thanks to everyone who read our story! We are very proud of ourselves, and we are leaving a little part of us with this. We are very glad that a few of you read it until the end, and I hope that the story of Sam was a good one

Love forever, Cynthia and Noemie

xx