Chapter 27 - Axing Axe-Murders

Letha sat at their table, her chin resting on her fist as she glared at the dance floor. The couple she was watching were practically in each other’s pants as they wiggled and thrust around but, out of breath, they finally stopped. The man planted a kiss on her temple as his girlfriend threw back her head and laughed, grabbing his hand and guiding him off the floor. His eyes never drifted from her face as they manoeuvred through the crowd and Letha just shook her head.

“Disgusting,” she muttered.

Suddenly, Mickey came into view, swaying to the music as a girl twirled in front of him. Suddenly the music slowed and she moved in closer, wrapping her arms around Mickey’s neck. He looked a bit startled, but set his hands on her waist. Over her head, his eyes met Letha’s.

“Even more disgusting.”

As if he could hear what she said, Mickey smirked suddenly and winked at her. He bent his head and whispered something in his partner’s ear as he stepped away. She nodded, and twirled away as Mickey approached the table.

“Like what you see?” he asked, still smirking.

Letha rolled her eyes, sneering as she sat up properly. “Not particularly.” She glanced at her watch. “Can we go now?”

Mickey copied the action; 12:47. “I thought I had until 2?”

Looking away, she ground her teeth together, her foot tapping anxiously on the stool’s footrest. “I did the maths; if we leave now I can break Hadrian out of class.”

“And then what?” Mickey asked, leaning on the table, “What do you do after that?”

Dark, determined eyes flashed to his and Letha smiled bitterly. “What I always do; survive.”

He paused, face neutral until he nodded. “Ok. Let’s go.” Mickey pulled his wallet out of his back pocket and slid several notes onto the table. Slipping from her chair, Letha landed on both feet and strode off towards the stairwell, trying to shake off a weight that had settled on her shoulders. She stomped up the stairs, keeping her head bowed and away from the low ceiling as she went. Pressing the door open, she stumbled into daylight, raising a hand to hide her eyes from the glare.

Mickey followed her closely, flinching away from the light. “Geez! I thought winter was supposed to be cold, dark and damp.”

“No, that’s just my heart,” She muttered, turning back to walk down the street.

“Ah,” he snapped his fingers triumphantly, jogging to catch up to Letha. “So you admit you have a heart?”

Letha snorted, shaking her head. “I also have a pair of lungs and a brain.”

“Smart ass,” he muttered.

“Actually,” she pointed to her temple, “Smart head. That’s basic biology, Sherlock; do try to keep up.”

They arrived quickly at the car, walking in tense silence, and as they passed Lezzetli Mickey hesitated. He thought he should go in, apologise to Min again, but he honestly didn’t know what to say. How do you explain Letha to anyone? It was easier to keep walking, to use the key to unlock the passenger side door and gesture Letha inside and then clamber into the car himself. It was easier to ignore everybody else and just focus on the two of them.

“You still have a question to ask,” Mickey reminded her as he pulled out onto the street.

Letha pressed her hand against the cool window. “I know.”

“Are you going to ask it?”

“Not yet,” irritated, she threw her hands in the air, “What the hell am I supposed to ask?”